[comp.unix.questions] Emacs and "km" in Termcap entry

koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) (12/05/89)

The Wyse 60 termcap entry which we got from somewhere else doesn't
work at all right with GNU Emacs ver. 18.45.  By trial and error,
I discovered that removing the "km" entry got it to work right.
However, the local manuals give no documentation at all on a "km"
entry.  So, the question is:
 -  What does the "km" entry mean?
 -  Should removing it mess up any other programs?

					- Tim Koonce

Please send replies to:  koonce@math.berkeley.edu
                   or    ucbvax!math!koonce

In article <1989Dec4.193448.8295@agate.berkeley.edu>
koonce@brahms.berkeley.edu (tim koonce) writes:
>...  So, the question is:
> -  What does the "km" entry mean?
> -  Should removing it mess up any other programs?

RTTM (Read The Termcap Manual):

	km	bool	Has a ``meta'' key (shift, sets parity bit)

Emacs assumes that a `km' terminal will send characters with `space'
parity unless the `meta' key is held down.  Emacs will interpret such
keys as if they were prefixed with ESC (`meta' in Emacs parlance).