[comp.unix.questions] Version Management Utilities? ***SUMMARY***

ksuzuki@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Katsu Suzuki) (12/08/89)

In article <924@zip.eecs.umich.edu> I write:
>Hi, evryone. I am now developping big fortran program on Unix and
>I read in somewhere that there is utilities to manage version of
>source codes. (for example, you can retrieve version 1.0, 1.1, 1.2 etc
>without taking up disk space for each source code.) Is that standard
>unix? If so, what is the name of the commands? Or is that anonymous ftp-able
>from somewhere? I mainly use Sun 3.

Thanks for all the answers. following people mailed me answer. All the answer
was great help for me.

From: Samuel Lam <skl@wimsey.bc.ca>
From: barry@philmtl.philips.ca (Barry Kimelman)
From: matthew%sunpix.uucp@East.Sun.COM (Matthew Stier
From: brister%aries.intel.com@RELAY.CS.NET
From: Dahe Chen <chen-dahe@YALE.ARPA>
From: "Jerry Peek" <jdpeek@rodan.acs.syr.edu>

In short, there are 2 sets of utilities. One is SCCS, which is standard for
UNIX and the other is RCS, which is free software and ftp-able from purdue.
(Actually I found RCS in local system.) After using both of them, I found
out RCS is more easy to use. (or at least manual is more easy to understand)
I am using RCS now and quite satisfied with it.

Thank you again for all the info.

Katsu