[net.cooks] Szechuan Cookbook

wmartin@brl-tgr.ARPA (Will Martin ) (10/12/84)

the following in the new catalog of Presidio Press (PO Box 892F4, Novato,
CA  94948):

JENNIE LOW'S SZECHUAN COOKBOOK, by Jennie Low (of course!)

"A complete guide to the styles, ingredients, and techniques of Szechuan
and other Chinese cooking. Over 100 recipes, with advance preparation
instructions."

$7.95, ISBN: 0-89141-165-8, paper, illustrated, 9 X 6 1/4 inches [horizontal
format], 208 pages.

(I haven't seen this book, of course, so this isn't a recommendation of it,
but it looks like it might be what was requested. This is Presidio Press'
only cookbook; their usual lines are military and California-regional books.
I've bought some of their books in the past, and they have been well-made.)

Will Martin

trickey@alice.UucP (Howard Trickey) (01/24/86)

> From: datacube!maureen    Jan 16 10:28:00 1986
> P.S. If anyone knows of a good Szechuan Cookbook or any recipes
> please post them. Thanks for your time!

I like "Jennie Low's Szechuan Cookbook", by Jennie Low
(Presidio Press, 31 Pamaron Way, Novata CA).
Here's a sample recipe:

             Chicken with Chili Peppers

1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs or		Marinade:
      2 1/2 cups sliced chicken		1 tsp salt
1 green pepper or 25 snow peas		1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp oil				2 tsp thin soy sauce
8 whole dried red chili peppers		2 tsp oyster sauce
1/3 cup chicken stock			1 tbsp white wine
1 1/2 tbsp salted black beans,		1 tbsp cornstarch
          rinsed and drained		Dash pepper
1 1/2 tbsp sesame oil

1. Skin and bone chicken and cut into strips about 1.5"-by-1".
2. Sprinkle marinade ingredients over chicken, mix well, and
   marinate at least 5 hours or overnight.
3. Remove and discard seeds from bell pepper.  Cut bell pepper
   into strips 1"-by-1/2".  If using snow peas, remove and
   discard tips.  cut diagonally into 1/2" pieces.
4. Heat wok.  Add 1 tbsp oil and bell pepper or snow peas.
   Stir-fry for 1 minute over medium heat.  Remove from wok
   and set aside.
5. Heat wok. Add 2 tbsp oil, whole chili peppers, and chicken.
   Stir-fry for 3 minutes over high heat.
6. Add 1/3 cup chicken stock.  Cover and cook for 3 minutes over
   high heat.
7. Add black beans, cooked bell pepper or snow peas, and sesame oil.
   Mix well and serve.

Advance preparation: Steps 1 through 4 may be done a few hours in
   advance and kept at room tempature.