[comp.unix.questions] WANTED: IBM SNA <-> UNIX Connection

snoopy@ixos.UUCP (Snoopy Schmitz) (12/05/89)

Dear Net,

we are looking for ways to connect UNIX machines to "the IBM world".
That is something for UNIX that will plug into SNA etc. This something
should preferably be software perhaps also some hardware.

Are there any products you can recommend ?

I guess one idea is to use NFS and AIX, or PC-NFS on Mush-DOS but what I
really need is link (channel) to IBMs big iron under VM etc.

Please reply by e-mail - I will gladly post a summary in this newsgroup
when I have enough and if enough people are interested.

Thanks a million,
Love,
Snoopy
--
uunet!unido!ixos!snoopy -or- snoopy@ixos.uucp
"Every passing hour brings the solar system 43,000 miles closer to globular

johnson@ncrons.StPaul.NCR.COM (Wayne D. Johnson) (12/08/89)

In article <378@ixos.UUCP> snoopy@ixos.UUCP (Snoopy Schmitz) writes:
>Dear Net,
>
>we are looking for ways to connect UNIX machines to "the IBM world".
>That is something for UNIX that will plug into SNA etc. This something
>should preferably be software perhaps also some hardware.
>
>Are there any products you can recommend ?

I have used RJE on both a NCR Tower and on Suns.  Both allow the user
to transmit and submit a job on MVS.  This seems to work very well and
most of our use is in doing file transfers (submit a job that copies a
included file to disk with iebgener) and printing (use a similar job
to copy your file to the laser print sysout).  Its not very good at binary
files.  You need to use a RS232/RS448 line to do this (9600-56kbaud).

>I guess one idea is to use NFS and AIX, or PC-NFS on Mush-DOS but what I
>really need is link (channel) to IBMs big iron under VM etc.

There is also rumored, a Sun product that includes a VM system in their NFS
network via TCP-IP.  Never seen it used though.

--
Wayne Johnson         |  Is a baby's life worth more than the right to
NCR Comten, Inc.      |  make a choice?  Babies are people too.

wcs) (12/09/89)

Every major computer vendor has an interface to Big Iron, because
you can't avoid dealing with IBM.  Minimal support is 3270 coax
support and some kind of RJE; SNA and LU6.2 are not uncommon.
If you want more interesting support, some vendors support
channel-attached connections, but you can also get tcp/ip for your
mainframe.  A lot of mail systems support interfaces from X.400 or
other UNIX mail to PROFS and DISOSS mail, and there are a number of
3270-emulation and DBMS interfaces around.
--
# Bill Stewart, AT&T Bell Labs 4M312 Holmdel NJ 201-949-0705 api.att.com!wcs

#		We did it for the formlessness ...