[comp.unix.questions] MS/DOS-compatible archivers

wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) (12/11/89)

In the MS/DOS world (and, for that matter, the Amiga world) the most
common file compression formats are ARC, ZOO, ZIP, and LZH.  I know that
there is a UNIX version of ZOO that is file-compatible with the MS/DOS
versions.  Are there UNIX versions of ARC, ZIP, and/or LZH (aka Lharc)?
If so, could someone point me in the proper direction to get them?

Thanks in advance.
--
Wally (uunet!pallas!wally or wally@athenanet.com)

"Student signature -- Stand clear."

ron@woan.austin.ibm.com (Ronald S. Woan) (12/12/89)

In article <243@pallas.UUCP>, wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) writes:
> Are there UNIX versions of ARC, ZIP, and/or LZH (aka Lharc)?  If so,
> could someone point me in the proper direction to get them?

You should have mentioned what flavor of UNIX. Anyways, arc5.21 source
for UNIX (BSD & Sys V) and a unzipper for BSD can be got from the
archives on simtel20.arpa (26.0.0.74) in one of the pd3:<misc>
directories.

+ Ronald S. Woan  (IBM VNET)WOAN AT AUSTIN, (AUSTIN)ron@woan.austin.ibm.com +
+ outside of IBM       @cs.utexas.edu:ibmchs!auschs!woan.austin.ibm.com!ron +
+ last resort                                        woan@peyote.cactus.org +

In article <243@pallas.UUCP> wally@pallas.UUCP (Wally Hartshorn) writes:
| In the MS/DOS world (and, for that matter, the Amiga world) the most
| common file compression formats are ARC, ZOO, ZIP, and LZH.  I know that
| there is a UNIX version of ZOO that is file-compatible with the MS/DOS
| versions.  Are there UNIX versions of ARC, ZIP, and/or LZH (aka Lharc)?
| If so, could someone point me in the proper direction to get them?

  There is a version of ARC which will also handle PKARC compression. It
works on BSD and SysV. I uploaded it to SIMTEL20 some time ago, and I
keep a copy on the archive-server at sixhub. There is some code for LZH,
but it only seems to work if (a) sizeof int (or short) is 16 bits and
LSB byte order is used. It sort of works on Intel and VAX, fails on
Sparc and loops forever on Cray, etc where short is > 16 bits.
that the world is flat!" - anon