[net.cooks] Vitamen A & beta carotene

evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) (01/19/86)

   In relation to vegetable sources of vitamen A not causing problems:
you should have seen an anatomy classmate of mine turn orange ( yes, like
an ornge "jaundise" ) from too much beta carotene.  Confused the doctors
till they learned of her love of carrot juice.

                           Sukie Crandall

avg@diablo.ARPA (01/20/86)

In article <1380@mhuxt.UUCP> evans@mhuxt.UUCP (crandall) writes:

>   In relation to vegetable sources of vitamen A not causing problems:
>you should have seen an anatomy classmate of mine turn orange ( yes, like
>an ornge "jaundise" ) from too much beta carotene.  Confused the doctors
>till they learned of her love of carrot juice.
>
>                           Sukie Crandall

I can't help asking.  Did your classmate make her own juice, just from
carrots?  Or did she perhaps buy a processed product that had
vitamin A added?

prastein@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (01/21/86)

     Yes, carrots will turn you yellow (from the keyboard of a true,
yellow, carrot lover)  Fortunately, that yellow is **NOT** jaundice; the
difference can be seen in the LACK of yellow eyeballs.  Also, there should
no other complications other than the interesting hue of (primarily)
palms and bottoms of feet.
				Marsha

jcp@osiris.UUCP (Jody Patilla) (01/26/86)

>      Yes, carrots will turn you yellow (from the keyboard of a true,
> yellow, carrot lover)  Fortunately, that yellow is **NOT** jaundice; the
> difference can be seen in the LACK of yellow eyeballs.  Also, there should
> no other complications other than the interesting hue of (primarily)
> palms and bottoms of feet.
> 				Marsha

	When I was in high school and still in pursuit of the perfect suntan
(I lived 1/2 from the beach) my girlfriends and I spent some time testing
this theory by eating lots of carrots before sunning. Yes, you do turn orange !
Fortunately, it doesn't last long.

--
jcpatilla

California is paid a diplomatic visit by giant Betelgeusian reptiles
that want our women but can't find any so scientists invent a
weapon that fails so they kill us.