[comp.unix.questions] setting up anonymous ftp accounts

hughes@ziggy.EDU (Ken Hughes) (12/19/89)

I'd like to set up some anonymous ftp accounts here but the docs
I have on ftp don't seem to mention this.  Can someone point me
in the proper direction?  (e-mail appreciated)

Thanks,

Ken
hughes@ziggy.cmd.usf.edu

noel@uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu (Bamf) (12/20/89)

In article <1300@ziggy.EDU> hughes@ziggy.cmd.usf.edu.UUCP (Ken Hughes) writes:
>I'd like to set up some anonymous ftp accounts here but the docs
>I have on ftp don't seem to mention this.  Can someone point me
>in the proper direction?  (e-mail appreciated)
>
>Ken
>hughes@ziggy.cmd.usf.edu

This is so easy, its ridiculous.  Just add a login entry for ftp.
On our site, its the following, from /etc/passwd:

ftp:xxxxxxxxxxxxx:74:74:Anonymous FTP,Anonymous,,:/src/ftp:/etc/ftponly

the ftp daemon already knows about it, it just checks to see if it
exists.   The directory /src/ftp is out anonymous ftp directory.
Yours will probably be different.   FTP chroot's to that directory,
so there must be a bin/ls and /etc/passwd  in that directory, for
the program to be able to do an ls, and to know who owns what.  It
is suggested that only a few necessary login's need be put into
etc/passwd, like root and ftp (no passwords needed, as they are
never actually used except by ftp)

So, except for the login, you only need to make the bin and etc
directory, cp ls to bin, and make a fake passwd file in etc.

(and BTW, man ftpd will tell you most of this.)

Noel

--
/*             "If you were a dragon, I'd give you a straw"
----You want it should sing too?----|       lost.in.the.net.of.it.all