[comp.unix.questions] stupid ksh question

mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) (12/15/89)

I have heard of sh, csh, rsh and mush, but what is ksh (the Korn
shell)? My guess is that it is a new shell released with System V,
but that's only a guess.

If I am wrong and it is PD, is it archived anywhere, and if so, where?

Please reply by mail and I will summarize. If any followups are
caught or killed, the secretary will disavow any knowledge of
your action. :-)

Nick Sayer | quack!mrapple@uop.edu or cheers!quack!mrapple@apple.com
... or { apple!cheers | pacbell!cogent!uop }!quack!mrapple
Packet radio: N6QQQ @ WB6V | (209) 952-5347 300/1200/2400 - login guest
Disclaimer: The BBC would like to appologise for that announcement

mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) (12/17/89)

The answer to my question came from David Elliott:

>ksh is a version of sh that has been heavily extended.  It has been
>around for 5 or 6 years, but has never been part of a released system
>until System V.4.  Most users of ksh either bought it from AT&T (at an
>exhorbitant price) or got a copy through some illicit means.

Thanks to David and all those who replied.

pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) (12/20/89)

=
=>ksh is a version of sh that has been heavily extended.  It has been
=>around for 5 or 6 years, but has never been part of a released system
=>until System V.4.  Most users of ksh either bought it from AT&T (at an
=>exhorbitant price) or got a copy through some illicit means.
=
Or purchased a legal copy from Aspen Technology or other legitimate vendor.
--
Prof. Peter J. Holsberg      UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Engrg. Technology            Voice: 1-609-586-4800

In article <1989Dec19.205629.19713@mccc.uucp>, pjh@mccc.uucp (Pete Holsberg) writes:
> In article <5037@quack.UUCP> mrapple@quack.UUCP (Nick Sayer) writes:
> =The answer to my question came from David Elliott:
> =
> =>ksh is a version of sh that has been heavily extended.  It has been
> =>around for 5 or 6 years, but has never been part of a released system
> =>until System V.4.  Most users of ksh either bought it from AT&T (at an
> =>exhorbitant price) or got a copy through some illicit means.
> =
> Or purchased a legal copy from Aspen Technology or other legitimate vendor.

It's also available in at least two vendors systems: HP-UX and Concurrent's
Xelos.

As I understand it, the "exhorbitant" price you pay the AT&T toolchest ($3,000)
is for a site license with source code.  Doesn't sound like a bad deal
to me.