[comp.unix.questions] Remote remote dump program - I blew it

parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (12/12/89)

For those that have written to me expressing interest in getting
a copy of my 'remote remote dump' program, well, I'm feeling a little
ashamed of myself at the moment. I was just looking through the code
to see if it all looked ok to send out, and quickly realized that I
had forgotten that I used some Berkeley code in it... specifically the
'rlogin' protocol machine. As such, I can't release the code at the
moment.

Due to the amount of interest, however, I will try to find the time to
go through this code and de-Berkeleyize it (if possible).

Does anyone know how stringent the copyright for code like this is?
The rlogin protocol machine is definitely not obscure code... it's
written in a pretty standard way. I imagine taking the code and
changing variable names, etc, is not sufficient for protecting
Berkeley's copyright, but any code I write will essentially do the
same thing. Anyone care to comment on this?

BTW, I have good mail address for everyone who responded to me
except for 'serge@zooks'. Can you give me a little more info, Serge?

Ross Parker				parker@mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker

alex@xicom.uucp (Alex Laney) (12/22/89)

In article <1957@eric.mpr.ca> parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) writes:
>For those that have written to me expressing interest in getting
>a copy of my 'remote remote dump' program, well, I'm feeling a little
>ashamed of myself at the moment. I was just looking through the code
>to see if it all looked ok to send out, and quickly realized that I
>had forgotten that I used some Berkeley code in it... specifically the
>'rlogin' protocol machine. As such, I can't release the code at the
>moment.

A lot of Berkeley networking code is 'public-domain.' The uunet
archives might have a copy of the same code you are referring to, in
which case it is okay to release. But you should call up UCB CSRG
and ask. Maybe someone at Berkeley can clarify?

--
Alex Laney, Xicom Group, National Semiconductor, Ottawa, Canada (613) 728-9099
uunet!mitel!sce!xicom!alex (alex@xicom.uucp)     Fax: (613) 728-1134