[comp.unix.questions] What do numbers mean in man?

klee@chico.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (12/22/89)

In article <664@nems.dt.navy.mil>, lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) writes:
> At the bottom of man entries, the user is frequently referred to the
> man pages for other commands. Like this:
> rn(1), vi(3), ckermit(1)

These refer to sections of the UNIX manual:

1.  user commands
2.  system calls
3.  subroutines
4.  special files
5.  file formats and conventions
6.  games
7.  macro packages and language conventions
8.  system maintenance commands

Each section has an introduction, which you can read on-line by typing
"man # intro", where # is the section number.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

lumsdon@dtoa1.dt.navy.mil (Lumsdon) (12/22/89)

Thank you to everyone who replied! Happy Holidays!

My mailbox overflowed this morning! It was really wonderful of so many
people to answer my questions. I really appreciate it! Thanks y'all.

---
Esther Lumsdon
David Taylor Research Center
Annapolis Lab  cm 301-267-3816   av 281-3816