[comp.unix.questions] mmap in cdevsw

freedman@granite.cr.bull.com (Jerome Freedman) (12/27/89)

  In the cdevsw ( I hope I got that right ) in Berkeley
systems I see an mmap. I know what the other stuff is
supposed to do but could some one explain CLEARLY what
this does, why I would use it and maybe even pointers
to relevant examples.

                           Jerry Freedman, Jr
                           508 671 2442

In article <1989Dec27.132716.7274@granite.cr.bull.com>
freedman@granite.cr.bull.com (Jerome Freedman) writes:
>  In the cdevsw ( I hope I got that right ) in Berkeley
>systems I see an mmap. I know what the other stuff is
>supposed to do but could some one explain CLEARLY what
>this does, why I would use it and maybe even pointers
>to relevant examples.

In BSD systems, it does nothing: `reserved for future expansion'.
In BSD-*derived* systems (e.g., SunOS), it does different things
depending on the derivative.

spee@qmfl.jrdc.go.jp (Paul SPEE) (12/28/89)

In article <1989Dec27.132716.7274@granite.cr.bull.com> freedman@granite.UUCP (Jerome Freedman) writes:

>  In the cdevsw ( I hope I got that right ) in Berkeley
>systems I see an mmap. I know what the other stuff is
>supposed to do but could some one explain CLEARLY what
>this does, why I would use it and maybe even pointers
>to relevant examples.

The mmap() interface allows for memory mapped files, but was
never implemented in BSD. For for information, see
"4.3BSD UNIX Operating System" by Leffler, McKusick, Karels
and Quarterman.

Paul Spee
spee%jrdc.go.jp@RELAY.CS.NET