[comp.unix.questions] Need help with tbl

rhake@well.UUCP (Randall Hake) (12/24/89)

Using Interactive System V.3.2/386, I am unable to get the tbl command
to work with entries such as

     tbl -TX tbl.file
or
     mm -t -Tlp tbl.file

The following error message pops up in either case:

     usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]

That error message is also produced by the command tbl with no
arguments.

Can anyone tell me how to get tbl to work? Thanks.

In article <15185@well.UUCP>, rhake@well.UUCP (Randall Hake) writes:
> The following error message pops up in either case:
>
>      usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]
>
> That error message is also produced by the command tbl with no
> arguments.

This is a known problem in 386/ix.  I believe they (interactive) have
released an update disk that will fix this problem.  Call them and ask
for it.

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (12/24/89)

In article <15185@well.UUCP> rhake@well.UUCP (Randall Hake) writes:
>The following error message pops up in either case:
>
>     usage: /usr/bin/tbl [-T X] [--] [file] ... [-]

I can't help with the problem (sounds like a broken command to me),
but if you do call the company, ask them to fix their usage message.

Maybe I'm wrong, but isn't there something wrong here?  I mean,
according to convention, anything inside of [] (and some others,
depending upon vendor) is optional, and everything else is generally
required.

The above says that you have to at least type (literally)

	tbl ...

If they mean multiple "file" arguments, shouldn't that be [file...],
or do I have the convention wrong?
--
David Elliott
dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (12/31/89)

In article <15185@well.UUCP> rhake@well.UUCP (Randall Hake) writes:
>Can anyone tell me how to get tbl to work? Thanks.

The tbl distributed with 386/ix 2.0.x doesn't work at all.  Oops.  The
X1 update disk, issued in June, contains a version that does work.  You
should be able to get the X1 update from whoever you got the software
from in the first place.
--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl