[comp.unix.questions] VMS DCL style history and command m

jik@athena.mit.edu (01/03/90)

In article <920004@hpavla.HP.COM>, rowland@hpavla.HP.COM (Fred Rowland) writes:
> There's a complete writeup of 'style' and its companion programs 'diction'
> and 'explain' in an article
>
>      Writing Tools - The STYLE and DICTION Programs
>
>      L. L. Cherry and W. Vesterman
>
> dated November 22, 1980.  Unfortunately, my copy doesn't include the name
> of the journal, but I'd say there's a good chance that it was Communications
> of the ACM.  Good luck!

  You probably don't have to dig through any journals to find the
article.  The BSD and Ultrix source tapes both have it on-line in the
/usr/doc directory.

  On BSD systems, it's in /usr/doc/usd/32.diction, and on Ultrix systems
(at least according to the Ultrix3.0 sources), it's in /usr/doc/diction.
 The document is the same on both systems, and you should be able to
format and print it by cd'ing into the appropriate directory and typing
"tbl rm0 rm1 rm2 | troff -ms"