[comp.unix.questions] Books on BSD system Administration

ttenenho@umabco.UUCP (Todd Carl Tenenholz) (01/03/90)

Can anybody reccomend some good books on administering a BSD
installation? I have a new position involving Silicon Graphics
Workstations, and I am expected to configure and maintain them,
as well as connect them over Ethernet using NFS and NCSA Telnet.
I know something of Unix, but a book that starts from scratch is
probably in order. Thanks in advance

Todd Tenenholz, Research Associate
Univ. of Md. Molecular Graphics Facility
umabco!ttenenho@cvl.umd.edu

rajkumar@plains.UUCP (A. Joseph Rajkumar) (01/03/90)

In article <860@umabco.UUCP> ttenenho@umabco.UUCP (Todd Carl Tenenholz) writes:
>some good books on administering a BSD installation?

I would be interested in the above information also.

Thanks

Joseph Rajkumar
email:  rajkumar@plains.nodak.edu

msc@cbnewsc.ATT.COM (michael.s.cross) (01/04/90)

The book listed below does a pretty good job of explaining the differences
between the types of UNIX(R) systems and administering them.  It's also
on the light or humorous side which is a definate plus.

title: UNIX System Administration Handbook
author: Nemeth, Evi, Snyder, Garth and Seebass
publisher: Prentice Hall
ISBN: 0-13-933441-6
estimated price: 45.00

Mike

--
Michael S. Cross  (msc@ihc.att.com)  (312)-982-2018
AT&T Bell Laboratories, 5555 Touhy Ave., Skokie, IL  60077

ntm1169@dsacg3.dsac.dla.mil (Mott Given) (01/04/90)

From article <860@umabco.UUCP>, by ttenenho@umabco.UUCP (Todd Carl Tenenholz):

> Can anybody reccomend some good books on administering a BSD
> installation?

 From "root," (P.O. Box 220, Rescue, CA 95672) a newsletter, Vol. 1, No. 2

 This article was prepared by Jim Joyce who runs Jim Joyce's UNIX Bookstore,
 139 Noe St., San Francisco, CA 94117, Phone 415-626-7581.  The original
 article contained a notice "Permission to reprint this article in its
entirety is granted so long as author's name, affiliation, address, and
phone number are included.

 "A Reading List for System Administrators"

 Prerequisites
   Some knowledge of UNIX utilities.

 The Plan.
   This list addresses beginning and intermediate-level UNIX system administra-
 tors for System V, and is a minimal recommendation for a self-study plan.  At
 this time there is no good guide to BSD UNIX system administration.  For more
 complete coverage, each book in the core reading list should be read in its
 entirety, as well as the books in the Recommended List.

 CORE READING LIST
 Introductory UNIX System Administration
   Stephan Kochchan and Patrick Wood, "Exploring the UNIX System," Chapter 12,
   "Administrating Your System"

   David Fiedler and Bruce H. Hunter, "UNIX System Administration."  Cover to
   cover.

   Gail Anderson and Paul Anderson, "The UNIX C Shell Field Guide."  Chapter 9,
   "Customizing the C Shell," to know what to put in the model files for
   .login, .cshrc, and .logout.

 Intermediate UNIX System Administration.
    John Strang, "Reading and Writing Termcap Entries."  A Nutshell book.  Not
    as good as Doug Merritt's legendary "termcap Reference Manual," but easier
    to obtain a copy.  There is no guide to terminfo yet.

   Grace Todino, Rev. by Tim O'Reilly & Dale Dougherty, "Using UUCP and Usenet."
    A Nutshell book.  Good information.

   Grace Todino, Rev. by Tim O'Reilly & Dale Dougherty, "Managing UUCP and
     Usenet."  Covers Version 2 UUCP and HoneyDanBer.

   Russell G. Sage, "Tricks of the UNIX Masters."  Chapter 3, "File
     Maintenance."

   Janet Egan and Thomas Teixera, "Writing a UNIX Device Driver."

   AT&T, "UNIX System V Release Notes."  The Software Notes describe glitches
     and bugs.

   Eric Foxley.  "UNIX for Super-Users."

   Patrick H. Wood and Stephen G. Kochan, "UNIX System Security."

 RECOMMENDED LIST

   AT&T Bell Laboratories, "UNIX System Readings and Applications," Vols. I and
    II.  Reprints of the "Bell System Technical Journals" devoted to UNIX.

   Frank Burke, "UNIX System Administration."  This book is not so much
    technical as it is oriented toward running a center.

   Douglas Comer, "Internetworking with TCP/IP."  The best, one-book treatment
    of the topic.

   Myril Shaw & Susan Shaw, "UNIX Internals."  Adequate overview for administra-    tors.

   The Waite Group, "UNIX Papers."  Pick and choose the articles carefully.

--
Mott Given @ Defense Logistics Agency ,DSAC-TMP, P.O. Box 1605,
Bldg. 27  Section 1, Systems Automation Center, Columbus, OH 43216-5002