[net.cooks] garlic

eac@drux3.UUCP (CveticEA) (04/18/84)

In regards to the article that said oil will develop a better garlic
flavor if the garlic is left in it in the cupboard for a week:

Yes this is true, however, since garlic is vegetable matter, you are
risking rancidity.  This is why a lot of dressing recipes say to leave
the garlic in for no more than 24 hours.  If it already has vinegar
in it, it may be less chancy, but is still probably not a good idea.
If you really like garlic, chopped garlic will keep for a long time
if placed in oil IN THE REFRIGERATOR.  Then add some of this to
your salad dressing.

                         Betsy Cvetic
                         ihnp4!drux3!eac
                         303-538-3406

mj@pur-ee.UUCP (Slartibartfast) (01/25/86)

Tried to post this a day or so ago.... Only the last 8 lines showed
up!  Here, I'll try again:

	I was just showing USENET to my brother, and he
	suggested that I post a recommendation for this GREAT
	little gadget I got for Christmas.  It's called The Garlic
	Machine. It is a tube of lucite, with a large plastic
	screw on one end and perforations on the other.  Garlic
	can be placed in the tube, and then, whenever the cook
	needs fresh garlic... There it is!  It really saves you from
	having to get the Smelly Stuff all over your hands after
	you use it, and it keeps the garlic all in one place.  And all
	the cook needs to to is to turn the screw, pushing the garlic
	through the perfs.  It also CRUSHES the garlic, which is
	THE KEY to releasing their flavor.

	It is the essential tool for the garlic/limburger cheese
	diet (from fay away, you look thin).

Mark A. Johnson - Purdue University Department of Electrical Engineering
		(Department of Redundancy Department)
UUCP:..allegra!purdue!pur-ee!mj USPS:411B S. Chauncey, W. Lafayette, IN 47906

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (01/29/86)

In article <3646@pur-ee.UUCP> mj@pur-ee.UUCP (Slartibartfast) writes:
> It's called The Garlic Machine. It is a tube of lucite, with a large
> plastic screw on one end and perforations on the other.  [...] It
> also CRUSHES the garlic [...]

And the crushed garlic quickly goes rancid on the shelf... I STILL like
the whack-it-with-the-cleaver approach.  You do it BEFORE peeling, and the
skin comes out very easily.  Then a few more whacks and you have minced garlic.

One the other hand, I have this $35 pepper grinder....

--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900				(kerch@lll-tis.ARPA)

hsd@uvacs.UUCP (02/01/86)

In article <3646@pur-ee.UUCP> mj@pur-ee.UUCP (Slartibartfast) writes:
>	suggested that I post a recommendation for this GREAT
>	little gadget I got for Christmas.  It's called The Garlic
>	Machine. It is a tube of lucite, with a large plastic
>	screw on one end and perforations on the other.  Garlic
>	can be placed in the tube, and then, whenever the cook
>	needs fresh garlic... Th
	I was impressed until I saw the price - $16 last spring in Denver.
	While I'm still on a graduate student "salary", I'll stick to my
	trusty old garlic press.
--
Harry S. Delugach   University of Virginia, Dept. of Computer Science
                    UUCP: ..!cbosgd!uvacs!hsd  or ..!decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!hsd

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (02/04/86)

In article <492@zinfandel.UUCP> berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) writes:
>And the crushed garlic quickly goes rancid on the shelf... I STILL like
>the whack-it-with-the-cleaver approach.  You do it BEFORE peeling, and the
>skin comes out very easily.  Then a few more whacks and you have minced garlic.
>
>One the other hand, I have this $35 pepper grinder....

But whacking peppercorns with a cleaver just sends them flying around
the room.  The $35 grinder really works!  And it works $30 better - and
longer - than a $5 grinder.

--
Ed Gould                    mt Xinu, 2910 Seventh St., Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

"A man of quality is not threatened by a woman of equality."