[comp.unix.questions] Needed: Software for a Nicolet Zeta Plotter

IPS%WINDSOR1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (Philip Smith) (01/09/90)

My VAX-11/780 running 4.3BSD has recently acquired a Nicolet Zeta Plotter
Model 1453SX. I have the driver for it written in Fortran but I have no
software to use the drivers.

Is anyone out there using a Nicolet Zeta Plotter? If so, what application
are you using this plotter for?

Any information would be appreciated. Please respond to this discussion list.

Thank-you
Philip Smith
Systems Programmer
University of Windsor
(519)253-4232 ext. 3252

jb@aablue.UUCP (John B Scalia) (01/13/90)

In article <22009@adm.BRL.MIL> IPS%WINDSOR1.bitnet@ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca (Philip Smith) writes:

>My VAX-11/780 running 4.3BSD has recently acquired a Nicolet Zeta Plotter
>Model 1453SX. I have the driver for it written in Fortran but I have no
>software to use the drivers.
>
>Is anyone out there using a Nicolet Zeta Plotter? If so, what application
>are you using this plotter for?

While I don't use them personal, a couple of my customer sites do use them
and our organization has sold them in the past. Nicolet plotters are also,
and I believe now exclusively, sold by AM International's Bruning Division.
Although, I could be mistaken about the exclusive part. All the Nicolet
plotters I'm familiar with support HPGL as their input format. However, in
my experience they don't do this very quickly. To put it this way, they've
never been my first choice because of their speed.

Anyway, we only use plotters in general in our computer-aided-design
activities. And the most of the CAD software I'm familiar with directly
support HPGL devices, ie., AutoCAD, Cadkey, Autotrol, Cadam, CV, etc.

As to what you can do with it, well, I'm not sure what kinds of apps you're
into. But in general, if you've got an app requiring graphic output and
can get that output into HPGL, you're in business.

I you need any more info, drop me line, I'll try to help with any problems
you might encounter.

jb@aablue.UUCP
--
A A Blueprint Co., Inc. - Akron, Ohio +1 216 794-8803 voice
UUCP:	   {uunet!}aablue!jb	(John B. Scalia)

Just a little more nonsense to clutter up the net.