[comp.unix.questions] Network printing from 4.3BSD to SYS V

fuzzy@aruba.avlab.wpafb.af.mil (John Karabaic) (01/13/90)

Hello!

I have a need to print from a 4.3BSD machine (a NeXT) to an IBM PC
running System V.  The reason is that the IBM PC is the only machine
which interfaces to a Xerox 4050 laser typesetter, a
50-imprint-per-minute beast.

System V does not seem to support BSD-style network printing, which
involves a daemon listening at Internet Domain Socket 515 for print
requests from remote machines.  What I would like is a daemon written
for System V that listens at that socket and services print requests.  I only
need requests to be serviced one way only, NeXT to PC.

Rather than write this from scratch myself, I was wondering if anyone
out there has such a beast already written and can send me source.

Please send replies to

fuzzy%aruba.dnet@wpafb-avlab.arpa

Much thanks!

		   !!!!!!!!!!!!!Don't use *reply*!!!!!!!!!!!
			       John S. Karabaic

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (01/14/90)

In article <22084@adm.BRL.MIL>, fuzzy@aruba.avlab.wpafb.af.mil (John Karabaic) writes:

> I have a need to print from a 4.3BSD machine (a NeXT) to an IBM PC
> running System V.

> System V does not seem to support BSD-style network printing, which
> involves a daemon listening at Internet Domain Socket 515 for print
> requests from remote machines.  What I would like is a daemon written
> for System V that listens at that socket and services print requests.  I only
> need requests to be serviced one way only, NeXT to PC.

Or, on the NeXT, use an "of" filter to pipe the print job to the "lp"
command on the PC via rsh.

.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se