[comp.unix.questions] Is there an EDT editor for Unix systems?

packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) (01/12/90)

Does there exist a screen-oriented editor that runs
under Unix on a Sun, for example, but looks to the user
like the VAX-VMS editor EDT?  I've determined that at
least one VAX I know that runs under Unix doesn't have
a command EDT.  I assume that a computer that has a
VMS shell around Unix would have such an editor.

lss@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Linda S. Saus) (01/12/90)

From article <680@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, by packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer):
> Does there exist a screen-oriented editor that runs
> under Unix on a Sun, for example, but looks to the user
> like the VAX-VMS editor EDT?

gnu emacs version 18.53 has an EDT emulation mode.  You get it by including
the line
(setq term-setup-hook 'edt-emulation-on)
in your .emacs file.  It's not a perfect emulation, but comes close.

gdh@calmasd.Prime.COM (Gerald Hall) (01/12/90)

In article <680@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov> packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) writes:
>Does there exist a screen-oriented editor that runs
>under Unix on a Sun, for example, but looks to the user
>like the VAX-VMS editor EDT?

Our local solution to this problem has been to configure GNU emacs
to look like EDT including the keypad mapping for users coming
over to UNIX from VMS.

--
   / Gerald Hall, UNIX SysAdmin, (619) 587-3065
  / Calma - A Division of Prime Computer Inc.

johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us (John R. Levine) (01/12/90)

An outfit called Boston Business Computing in Lawrence MA have such a
thing.  Apparently VMS-oids love it but not being one, I couldn't say.
They also have a version of DCL for Unix.

--
John R. Levine, Segue Software, POB 349, Cambridge MA 02238, +1 617 864 9650
johnl@esegue.segue.boston.ma.us, {ima|lotus|spdcc}!esegue!johnl

madd@world.std.com (jim frost) (01/12/90)

lss@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Linda S. Saus) writes:
>From article <680@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, by packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer):
>> Does there exist a screen-oriented editor that runs
>> under Unix on a Sun, for example, but looks to the user
>> like the VAX-VMS editor EDT?
>(setq term-setup-hook 'edt-emulation-on)

The consensus around here was M-x edt-mode, but the effect is the
same.

jim frost
jimf@saber.com

packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer) (01/13/90)

There were 10 responses to this question--four here and six to me
by e-mail.  Thanks.

All mentioned either or both of Gnu Emacs (free) or "EDT+", from
Boston Business Computing ($$$).

cgf@ednor.bbc.com (Chris Faylor) (01/15/90)

My company provides VMS utilities for UNIX and MS-DOS machines.
We offer the following:

		EDT+	- An emulation of VAX EDT
		VCL	- A DCL command shell
		Vmail	- A VAX mail interface to UNIX mail
		Vbackup	- A program to read and write VMS backup tapes
			  in VMS backup format
		Desk
		Executive - An All-In-1 emulation

		VTPU	- (soon to be released) an emulation of DEC's
			  TPU product

		VNET	- A network interface to VCL allowing use of
			  VMS style nodes under both TCP/IP and DECNET

Our address:

		Boston Business Computing
		3 Dundee Park
		Andover, MA 01810
		(508) 470-0444

		Email:  sales@ednor.bbc.com

Note that we are no longer located in Lawrence as a previous poster indicated.
We also have educational and volume discounts.  Mail or call us for more
information.
--
			 Chris Faylor
		      cgf@ednor.bbc.com

ekuns@zodiac.rutgers.edu (01/16/90)

In article <1990Jan12.035136.2081@world.std.com>, madd@world.std.com (jim frost) writes:
> lss@babcock.cerc.wvu.wvnet.edu (Linda S. Saus) writes:
>>From article <680@dftsrv.gsfc.nasa.gov>, by packer@chrpserv.gsfc.nasa.gov (Charles Packer):
>>> Does there exist a screen-oriented editor that runs
>>> under Unix on a Sun, for example, but looks to the user
>>> like the VAX-VMS editor EDT?

One product I haven't seen mentioned is EDT8, by a company called acceler8.
I've been using it for a while, and it seems quite close to EDT.  (I haven't
run into a difference yet, except that on some systems, you can't use ^Z to get
out of screen mode.  But that's probably my ineptness at figuring out stty!)
This company also sells a product DCL8, a VAX/VMS DCL-like shell for UNIX, and
LIB8, to emulate the VAX/VMS run-time libraries.  I haven't used either of the
two myself.
--

|              | bitnet: EKuns@zodiac             | 2005 Tall Oaks Drive #2A |