[comp.unix.questions] making compressed backups

leo@aai.uu.net (Leo Pinard) (01/12/90)

What is the best way to make compressed backups?  I have been trying
things like:

find /usr -depth -print  | cpio -oBmc | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt8

but I've been having problems with segmentation faults and core dumps.
Another problem with this method is that everything must fit on one
tape.  Is there another or better way to do this?

We just started getting this group today.  If this has been discussed
before, please send me the summary.

Thanks!
Leo  leo@aai.uu.net  uunet!aai!leo

In article <1990Jan12.092215.1567@aai.uu.net>, leo@aai.uu.net (Leo Pinard) writes:
> find /usr -depth -print  | cpio -oBmc | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt8

Two problems with this pipeline:

	1. You should do a cd /usr; find . -depth...
	   this makes the backup relative and allows you to restore the
	   data to another directory if you should need to.

	2. In order to make the tape stream you probably should specify
	   an output block size of something like 1024k.

mb33@prism.gatech.EDU (Martin H. Brooks) (01/17/90)

In article <1990Jan13.020205.3660@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
>In article <1990Jan12.092215.1567@aai.uu.net>, leo@aai.uu.net (Leo Pinard) writes:
>> find /usr -depth -print  | cpio -oBmc | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt8
>
>	1. You should do a cd /usr; find . -depth...
>	2. In order to make the tape stream you probably should specify
>	   an output block size of something like 1024k.

Unless your "cpio" is different from mine, use the "a" option instead
of the "m".  The "a" option resets the access time after a file is
backed up so that it appears not to have been accessed by the backup.
On my "cpio", the "m" option is not available with the "o" output
mode.

--
Martin H. Brooks  -  Georgia Institute of Technology
U.S. Mail: GTRI/RAIL/MAD/EMB 0800, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332

leo@aai.uu.net (Leo Pinard) (01/18/90)

In article <1990Jan12.092215.1567@aai.uu.net> I write:

>What is the best way to make compressed backups?  I have been trying
>things like:
>
>find /usr -depth -print  | cpio -oBmc | compress | dd of=/dev/rmt8
>
>but I've been having problems with segmentation faults and core dumps.
>Another problem with this method is that everything must fit on one
>tape.  Is there another or better way to do this?

I have done some experimenting and it is cpio that is dumping core.
This happens at the same place in my test files on both our Sun 3 and
Sun 4 running 4.0.3 when listing the files in the archive using

	cpio -itvc <archive	# archive is ~20MB in this test

After listing about 670 files containing about 6.7MB I get a segmentation
fault/core dump.

Am I doing something wrong here or is there a problem with Sun cpio
and/or OS?  Isn't this the kind of thing people need to do with cpio
all the time?

I received no suggestions from anyone about how multi-volume
compressed backups could be done.  Is it not possible without having
sufficient disk space to store the intermediate file?