[comp.unix.questions] printf implementation

srini@diablo.amd.com (02/01/90)

Hello.

I would like to know why printf is implemented separately for shells
(like in C shell)? I know one reason - efficiency. Are there others?

Also, how is printf implemeted (upto the _write level) in library?
It calls a function _doprnt. What happens from there?

Post replies. Or send them to srini@cayman.AMD.COM.

Thanks.
Srini.

In article <29007@amdcad.AMD.COM> srini@diablo.amd.com writes:
>I would like to know why printf is implemented separately for shells
>(like in C shell)? I know one reason - efficiency. Are there others?

csh has its own private printf because csh did not quite fit on a
PDP-11 without split I&D, and Bill Joy chipped a bit here and a bit
there to make it fit.  One of the chips was stdio.

>Also, how is printf implemeted (upto the _write level) in library?
>It calls a function _doprnt. What happens from there?

What makes you think it calls _doprnt?  Mine calls vfprintf.