[comp.unix.questions] Gadzookers!

kohli@gemed (Mr. Bad Judgment) (02/02/90)

In article <5622@udccvax1.acs.udel.EDU>, william@vax1.acs.udel.EDU
(William H. York) wrote:
>I use my PC to write text files in word perfect then I save in
>dos format to upload to our vax.  When the file is cat'ed, the
>^M's don't show, but when vi'ing they become real annoying!  Is
>there a file I can pipe it through to remove the ^M's or
>perhaps a way vi can be used to remove them?

In article <1990Feb1.193031.11699@iwarp.intel.com> merlyn@iwarp.intel.com
(Randal Schwartz) writes:
<In article <1990Feb1.164704.23581@athena.mit.edu>, jik@athena (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:
<|   tr -d "\012" < filename > filename.new
<
<Bzzzt.  Can't combine that sorta quoting.  tr will get '012' as an
<argument, not '\012', so what you wanted was either:
<	"\\012"
<or
<	'\012'
<
I believe the objective would be better accomplished if '\015'
was used (rather than '\012'), eh?

Jim Kohli
GE Medical Systems

In article <1986@mrsvr.UUCP>, kohli@gemed (Mr. Bad Judgment) writes:
> I believe the objective would be better accomplished if '\015'
> was used (rather than '\012'), eh?

  Yeah.  Sigh.

  I needed to test to make sure the command I was posting would work, so
I did "tr -d "\012"" on my .login file (the first name I could think of
:-), since I knew that it didn't contain any ^M characters (only ^J),
and missing ^J's would be really hard to miss.

  I forgot to change \012 back into \015 before posting the message.
And Randal just took my cue :-).

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710