[comp.unix.questions] Unix V.4 for 386?

fyl@ssc.UUCP (Phil Hughes) (02/02/90)

In article <22269@adm.BRL.MIL>, gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:

> Can anyone tell me whether Unix V.4 is available for any 386 machines?
> If it is, I would appreciate some vendors' names and some ballpark
> price figures.

Starting about 3 months ago we have been getting requests for a UNIX V.4
Command Summary (we publish pocket references for UNIX and such).  The
question is usually something like "have you updated your system 5 command
summary to 5.4 yet?)  In every case we have asked the customer, "Are you
running 5.4?"  The answer is always something like, we might be soon or I
heard it would be available.

Let me know if you find it.  It is hard to write a book (or at least a
correct book) on something before it exists.

--
Phil Hughes, SSC, Inc. P.O. Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155  (206)FOR-UNIX
     uunet!pilchuck!ssc!fyl or attmail!ssc!fyl            (206)527-3385

lars@iclswe.UUCP (Lars Tunkrans) (02/03/90)

In article <22269@adm.BRL.MIL> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:

>Can anyone tell me whether Unix V.4 is available for any 386 machines?

As of Thursday last week the answer unfortunatly was no it isn't.
I attended the launch of SVR4.0 in Stockholm Sweden. The repesentatives there
from AT&T, Unix International and X/Open  all stated that there was only one
vendor who ( last week ) had released a SVR4.0 product for commercial
availability.

The Only available SVR4.0 product today is the DRS6000 SPARC based system
from International Computers Ltd. The product has so far been released in the
U.K. and in Sweden.  The DRS6000 is a system for up to 200 concurrent users
with 128 Mb RAM and 19 Gb Disc doing 23 MIPS.

SPARC is a Trademark of Sun Microsystems.
UNIX is a Trademark of AT&T

--
The ICL DRS6000    | Lars Tunkrans  DRS Systems support  Phone +46 (0)76096368.
Series has the     | UUCP: {uunet,mcsun,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut,ukc