[comp.unix.questions] What does "USG" mean?

roe@sobmips.UUCP (r.peterson) (02/03/90)

From article <1677@ctisbv.cti-software.nl>, by pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen):
> This may be a silly question, but I could not find the answer elsewhere:
>
> Lots of software wants me to #define USG to indicate
> I am compiling on a SYSV box (or on a SYSIII box,
> for that matter). What does USG mean?

Holdover from old System III days - Unified (or United) Systems Group.
--
One makes strong assumptions delving	       Roe Peterson
into the beginning of the universe...	       {uunet,mcgill-vision}!sobeco!roe

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (02/04/90)

In article <1990Feb2.163706.12245@sobmips.UUCP> roe@sobmips.UUCP (r.peterson) writes:
>Holdover from old System III days - Unified (or United) Systems Group.

Please don't post incorrect answers.  Thanks.