[comp.unix.questions] plot

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B. Rahardjo) (02/07/90)

Is there any plot(1G) program that has postscript as an option ?
plot -Tps ? plotps ?

What I want is something like :

echo 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 1 4 0 | graph | plotps

Thanks,
Budi
--
Budi Rahardjo        | rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA
Electrical Eng.      | rahardj@ccm.UManitoba.CA

In article <1990Feb6.161734.24524@ccu.umanitoba.ca>,
rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B.
Rahardjo) writes:
> Is there any plot(1G) program that has postscript as an option ?
> plot -Tps ? plotps ?
>
> What I want is something like :
>
> echo 0 0 1 1 2 2 3 1 4 0 | graph | plotps

  I don't know about public domain implementations of a PostScript(TM)
plot filter, but Adobe's TranScript(TM) package (which provides various
utilities for using PostScript under Unix) includes a psplot filter that
is compatible with the standard Unix plot utility and generates
PostScript.  There are a lot of other handy utilities too.

  I don't have a phone number for Adobe, but their address is:

    Adobe Systems, Incorporated
    1585 Charleston Road
    Mountain View, CA  94039-7900

  I don't work for Adobe, I never have, I probably never will.  I'm just
somebody who uses their software and has access to our sources for it
(yes, they give you source, if you pay for it) so I could look up the
address :-).

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

composer@bucsf.bu.edu (Jeff Kellem) (02/08/90)

In article <1990Feb7.163532.5655@athena.mit.edu> jik@athena.mit.edu (Jonathan I. Kamens) writes:

|   In article <1990Feb6.161734.24524@ccu.umanitoba.ca>, rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B.Rahardjo) writes:
|   > Is there any plot(1G) program that has postscript as an option ?
|   > plot -Tps ? plotps ?
|
|     I don't know about public domain implementations of a PostScript(TM)
|   plot filter, but Adobe's TranScript(TM) package (which provides various
|   utilities for using PostScript under Unix) includes a psplot filter that
|   is compatible with the standard Unix plot utility and generates
|   PostScript.  There are a lot of other handy utilities too.

Well, here's one, not public domain, but falling under the GNU General
Public License... plot2ps, by Richard Murphey (I believe).  It is "a
utility for converting unix plot files to postscript." (from plot2ps'
README).  One nice addition included as part of plot2ps is a library
(called libps) of plot functions for postscript output.

Last I knew, plot2ps was in alpha test.  But, that was some time around
July of 1989.  It can be found on qed.rice.edu via anonymous ftp.

Enjoy...

				-jeff

Jeff Kellem
INTERNET: composer@cs.bu.edu  (or composer@bu.edu)