[comp.unix.questions] fortran -> c converter: free!

ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) (02/07/90)

In article <22347@adm.BRL.MIL> you write:
>To All,
>	I am looking for a Fortran-to-C source conversion utility.
>Pointers to companies, public domain, archives, and other lists are
>all welcome.
>
>	A summary will be posted if appropriate.
>
>Thank you for your time,
>
>Jonathan Eisenhamer
>jon@astro.ucla.edu
>jon@uclastro.bitnet
>bonnie::jon (span 5.708)
>(213)206-8596

You can do the following:

(echo filter f2c; cat file) | mail netlib@research.att.com

This allows the friendly machine at AT&T to convert a fortran file
named file to a c file.  You'll also need a header file:

echo "send f2c.h from f2c" | mail netlib@research.att.com

Full details:  echo "send index from f2c" | mail netlib@research.att.com

-ric steinberger

phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (02/07/90)

In article <8887@unix.SRI.COM>, ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger) writes...

+(echo filter f2c; cat file) | mail netlib@research.att.com
+
+This allows the friendly machine at AT&T to convert a fortran file
+named file to a c file.  You'll also need a header file:
+
+echo "send f2c.h from f2c" | mail netlib@research.att.com
+
+Full details:  echo "send index from f2c" | mail netlib@research.att.com
+-ric steinberger

As far as I remember, the problem is that you need a library to run the translated
code on a C compiler (the library handles the I/O calls). So, you can't simply run
the code thru this site.

It should be an excellent converter once they release the library, though. It seemed
very well thought out when I tried it.

/ivo welch	ivo@next.agsm.ucla.edu

mikem+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Meyer) (02/07/90)

The f2c converter is released.  For more information send the message
	send index from f2c
to netlib@research.att.com

jwe@ut-emx.UUCP (jwe) (02/08/90)

In article <7484@tank.uchicago.edu> phd_ivo@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
| In article <8887@unix.SRI.COM|, ric@ace.sri.com (Richard Steinberger)
| writes...
|
| + (echo filter f2c; cat file) | mail netlib@research.att.com

| + This allows the friendly machine at AT&T to convert a fortran file
| + named file to a c file.  [...]

| As far as I remember, the problem is that you need a library to run
| the translated code on a C compiler (the library handles the I/O
| calls). So, you can't simply run the code thru this site.

The source for the I/O and function libraries, the required header
file, and the complete source for the translator are currently
available.  As Richard said, for full details, send a one line message
of the form `send index from f2c' to netlib@research.att.com.

I only had one small problem in getting it to work here, and that
was my fault -- I didn't read the documetation carefully enough before
typing `make'.  Once I changed one #define, everything worked
smoothly.

--
John Eaton
jwe@emx.utexas.edu