[net.cooks] Pepper grinders

wmartin@brl-smoke.ARPA (Will Martin ) (02/11/86)

Since the subject of fancy pepper grinders came up in the context of
discussing garlic crushers, I thought it would be a good time to post my
query about this subject: I've been looking in catalogs and in cookery-
supply shops for a good *one-hand* pepper grinder. I've not seen any.

What I figure could be made would be either a battery-powered model,
which you could run simply by pushing a button, or one made with some
sort of slide mechanism, which you would move back and forth with your
thumb, and which would transfer this motion through a gear or cam
arrangement to a regular rotary grinder.

Has anyone ever seen such a machine? While I want one simply for the
convenience aspects (you can add fresh-ground pepper to what you are cooking
without having to use both hands and sit down whatever it is you are
holding in your other hand), such a device would be a necessity for
someone who only had one arm and yet wanted to use fresh-ground pepper.
It seems a fairly obvious product, and, in a world where there are
electric flour sifters and little powered whisks, I don't know why one
isn't available.

Regards, Will

UUCP/USENET: seismo!brl-bmd!wmartin   or   ARPA/MILNET: wmartin@almsa-1.ARPA

pwd@pid.UUCP (Philip W. Dalrymple) (02/13/86)

In article <836@brl-smoke.ARPA> wmartin@brl-smoke.UUCP writes:
>Since the subject of fancy pepper grinders came up in the context of
>discussing garlic crushers, I thought it would be a good time to post my
>query about this subject: I've been looking in catalogs and in cookery-
>supply shops for a good *one-hand* pepper grinder. I've not seen any.
>
>What I figure could be made would be either a battery-powered model,
>which you could run simply by pushing a button, or one made with some
>sort of slide mechanism, which you would move back and forth with your

I have seen both a battery grinder and one which is run by squeezeing
the unit with one hand in a cooking stuff store here in Atlanta.
The battery one used the standard grinder while the squeeze unit had
a sort of greater thing in side (yes I opened the unit even thou I
was not that interested it it).

--
Philip Dalrymple
akgua!pid!pwd

talmy@randvax.UUCP (Shel Talmy) (02/15/86)

I purchased a battery operated pepper grinder from a shop in
Farmer's Market, a mall located in Los Angeles, about a year ago.
It's about a foot tall, give or take an inch, works magnificently, & is now
an item I wouldn't be without.

I believe they can be found in almost any of the gourmet cookery shops,
that have sprung up virtually everywhere.  I think the price was about, $20.00.
Hope this helps.