[comp.unix.questions] Problems with su

rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) (02/14/90)

	I had a disk go bad on a V.3 system.  I formatted up another
drive and did a re-installation of unix.  I then overlaid my backup tape
to take care of the differences.  The system comes up fine with one
exception.  I can only login as root.  Whenever I try another username,
it gives me the initial login banner and then says "no shell".  If I log
in as root and then do an "su newusername", I get the error message "su:
No shell".
	Can anyone enlighten me as to what the problem is?  The manual
page for su does not list any error messages.  Under login, I find that
the no shell error message says that it cannot read the password file.
In looking at that, the protections all look correct.  Can anyone hazard
a guess as to what the problem might be.  Thanks.

--
Ned W. Rhodes                   (703) 534-2297 (voice)
Software Systems Group          (703) 237-9654 (fax)

jpp@tygra.UUCP (John Palmer) (02/14/90)

In article <19379@grebyn.com> rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:
}
...[some stuff deleted...]
}it gives me the initial login banner and then says "no shell".  If I log
}in as root and then do an "su newusername", I get the error message "su:
}No shell".
}	Can anyone enlighten me as to what the problem is?  The manual
}page for su does not list any error messages.  Under login, I find that
}the no shell error message says that it cannot read the password file.
}In looking at that, the protections all look correct.  Can anyone hazard
}a guess as to what the problem might be.  Thanks.
}
That mesage usually occurs if the shell field in the password file
entry is bad (ie: if the file it specifies doesnt exist or is not
executable). Check you password file entry.

Also, what is the access setting on the shell files (/bin/csh and /bin/sh)??
Maybe their mode is set so that the cant be executed by other users.

--
=  CAT-TALK Conferencing Network, Prototype Computer Conferencing System  =
-  1-800-825-3069, 300/1200/2400/9600 baud, 8/N/1. New users use 'new'    -

nik@st_nik.UUCP (Nik Simpson x333) (02/15/90)

In article <19379@grebyn.com>, rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:

> 	I had a disk go bad on a V.3 system.  I formatted up another
> drive and did a re-installation of unix.  I then overlaid my backup tape
> to take care of the differences.  The system comes up fine with one
> exception.  I can only login as root.  Whenever I try another username,
> it gives me the initial login banner and then says "no shell".  If I log
> in as root and then do an "su newusername", I get the error message "su:
> No shell".

	Often the problem is that the passwd file is missing or has an
invalid field in it.  Any passwd entries after the invalid field will not
be usable.  I would suggest you run the /etc/pwck command which will tell
you about any bad fields in the /etc/passwd file.

	Hope this helps,  most problems we have like this are from this cause.

--
|--------------------------------------------------|
|  Nik Simpson	UUCP :  uunet!ingr!swndn!st_nik!nik|

In article <19379@grebyn.com> rhodes@grebyn.com (Ned Rhodes) writes:
>exception.  I can only login as root.  Whenever I try another username,
>it gives me the initial login banner and then says "no shell".  If I log

The problem is either in the passwd file or with /bin/sh itself.

Verify that /bin/sh has a mode of at least 555 and that the
passwd entries for whatever user's you are trying to login as are
actually set up to run /bin/sh (or get it as the default).

This error message will also show up under some system V.3s if the login program
is not an executable file (i.e you can't have a shell command file as the
login shell).