[comp.unix.questions] printing postscript files

davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) (02/15/90)

Hi,
  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
	Usually from inside MS Word 4.0, at the print dialog after clicking
	OK I hit command-K.  It creates a postscript file, and then I
	kermit the file over to Unix.  I then use "lpr" and the file
	prints as if it was a text file. I get pages and pages of
	postsciprt commands.
  Is there something I'm forgetting to do?
-Dug

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (02/19/90)

In article <6461@cps3xx.UUCP> davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
>Hi,
>  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
>files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
>	Usually from inside MS Word 4.0, at the print dialog after clicking
>	OK I hit command-K.  It creates a postscript file, and then I
>	kermit the file over to Unix.  I then use "lpr" and the file
>	prints as if it was a text file. I get pages and pages of
>	postsciprt commands.
>  Is there something I'm forgetting to do?
>-Dug

I'll ask the stupid question first.  Do you actually have a PostScript
printer attached?  What printer is it?  (Always try to give as much
information as possible to forestall these dumb questions.)

Assuming that you have a PostScript printer of some type there are two
possibilities that I can think of.  The printer may have been set up
to  emulate some other sort of printer such as a QMS with the switch
set to Diablo mode.  The other possibility is that the default printer
is filtered through an ASCII printer emulator.  Perhaps you have more
than one logical printer device with the default being for standard
printing and optional ones for PostScript, HP, etc.  Check with your
system administrator on both these questions.  If you are the system
administrator then I would suspect the switch possibility as the most
likely solution.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.

iemasgn@prism.gatech.EDU (Gautham,Nalamada) (02/20/90)

>In article <6461@cps3xx.UUCP> davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
>  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
>files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
>	Usually from inside MS Word 4.0, at the print dialog after clicking
>	OK I hit command-K.  It creates a postscript file, and then I
>	kermit the file over to Unix.  I then use "lpr" and the file
>	prints as if it was a text file. I get pages and pages of
>	postsciprt commands.
>  Is there something I'm forgetting to do?

You can print postscript files generated by using command-k only
on Apple laserwriters. If you do have one, then lpr must not be
having some filters, if not you have to use software like macps*
to print the files

* anonymous ftp'ble from Berkely

--Gautham
"Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a good deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
--Lewis Carrol

parker@zaphod.mpr.ca (Ross Parker) (02/20/90)

In article <1990Feb19.155338.8914@druid.uucp>, darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy
J.M. Cain) writes:
> In article <6461@cps3xx.UUCP> davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:
> >Hi,
> >  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
> >files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
. . .
> I'll ask the stupid question first.  Do you actually have a PostScript
> printer attached?
> The printer may have been set up
> to  emulate some other sort of printer such as a QMS with the switch
> set to Diablo mode.  The other possibility is that the default printer
> is filtered through an ASCII printer emulator

Actually, the most likely possibility is that you aren't including
the correct (or any) postscript header file with the Mac-generated
postscript. I believe the command-K sequence generates a file that
includes lots of non-existant postscript commands, and doesn't start
with the '%!' magic cookie that Transcript software (from Adobe)
looks for.

This usually works on a Mac, because the printer has been pre-loaded
with the necessary functions. Printers hung off UNIX systems are
rarely set up this way.

I believe there's some magic Mac keystroke sequence or something that
will magically generate a header file for you, but (not being a Mac
hack) I can't help you with that one! Anyone else?

Ross Parker				parker@mpre.mpr.ca
(604)293-5495				uunet!ubc-cs!mpre!parker

  Several people have responded to the article asking how to print a
Mac-generated PostScript(TM) file on a printer hooked up to a Unix box.
However, I don't think anybody has given the "full story", so I'd like
to try to bring everything together in one message.

  Most Mac programs which generate PostScript generate a special form of
PostScript which is designed to be printed in conjunction with a "Laser
Prep" header file which, in its original form, can be understood only by
the Apple LaserWriter.  When printed directly from a Mac to a
LaserWriter, this isn't a problem because the LaserPrep file is
downloaded to the printer directly, either beforehand or at the
beginning of each job.  In fact, I think the LaserPrep is designed in
such a way that it checks to see if it's already been downloaded each
time it is sent to the printer, and if it is already present in the
printer, aborts the evaluation of the rest of the LaserPrep, which
speeds things up quite a bit.

  If you want to print PostScript to a file instead of to the printer
when using a Mac, there are two ways to do this, Command-f and
Command-k.  Using Command-f will give you a PostScript file without the
LaserPrep file prepended to it, while Command-k will give you a file
with LaserPrep prepended.  Unfortunately, most printers besides the
LaserWriter won't be able to print either of these as-is, for the
reasons mentioned above (i.e. they won't be able to understand the
LaserPrep header, and without the header the contents of the PostScript
file won't make any sense to the printer).  Another possible problem is
that much of the software that is used to print to PostScript printers
from Unix relies on "%!" being the first two characters in any
PostScript file.  If they are not, the file is considered a text file
and *passed through a formatter to print it as text* before it is sent
to the PostScript printer.

  The best solution to this problem I've seen is a package called
"macps", written by Edward Moy (or, at least, he's the person who signs
the mail sent out about it :-).  This package includes several program.
The two most importants ones are:

1. "prepfix", a program which will take a LaserPrep file uploaded to a Unix box
   and fix it so that printers besides the LaserWriter will understand it.  You
   then install the fixed LaserPrep file(s) into a library directory so
that the
   other important program can use them....

2. "macps", a program that reads a PostScript file generated on a Mac using
   Command-f, figures out which version of LaserPrep it requires, pulls
the fixed
   LaserPrep out of the library directory, prepends it to the beginning of the
   file and sends the output to its standard output -- you can then pipe this
   through lpr to print it to a PostScript printer.

The most recent version of macps (version 2.2, I think) is available for
anonymous ftp from the directory ~ftp/info-mac on the machine
sumex-aim.stanford.edu (36.44.0.6).

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

prs@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com (Paul Stath) (02/22/90)

davisd@cpsvax.cps.msu.edu (Dug) writes:

>Hi,
>  I was wondering if anyone out there prints Mac generated postscript
>files using Unix.  I've been trying with no luck.  Here's what I do:
>	Usually from inside MS Word 4.0, at the print dialog after clicking
>	OK I hit command-K.  It creates a postscript file, and then I
>	kermit the file over to Unix.  I then use "lpr" and the file
>	prints as if it was a text file. I get pages and pages of
>	postsciprt commands.
>  Is there something I'm forgetting to do?
>-Dug

Dug-

	We have been able to do this quite simply at our site.  There are
	several things that you have to do.  The first is to get a copy of
	the LaserPrep file over to the Unix machine.  You can do this
	using kermit if LaserPrep is a text file?  (I can't remember now)
	You then need to create the PostScript file as you describe above,
	with the command-K option, and ship that to the Unix machine via
	Kermit.  Next you need a printer interface that either
	assumes your file is PostScript, or knows the difference between
	plain text and PostScript.  Then use `cat' to send the LaserPrep
	file and the MSWord4.0 PostScript file to the printer.
		(i.e.   cat laserprep.ps msword.ps | lpr -dPostScript )

	If you get loads of PostScript code printed as regular text, then
	the printer interface doesn't know about PostScript, and is converting
	the 'text' of the PostScript code to PostScript, (Is this recursion??)
	or your printer is in some kinda emulation mode which doesn't
	process PostScript.  Use a small 1 page test PostScript file to
	find out if, how and under what conditions your Unix printer will
	process PostScript.  We ran our PostScript printer here for a
	long time in Diablo emulation mode until we purchased TranScript
	from Adobe.

	(p.s.  I would do several files at one time, only sending the
		laserprep file the first time.  After this I would power
		cycle the printer to free up the virtual memory taken
		by the laserprep prolog.
	)
Paul R. Stath       The Computer Solution Co., Inc.       Voice: 804-794-3491
INTERNET:	prs@tcsc3b2.tcsc.com		| "There was no diety involved,