[comp.unix.questions] Sys V uugetty problem

carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) (02/14/90)

	I have a modem on a serial port on my System V/386 box which I
would like to use for dialout as well as dialin. getty works fine, in
the usual expected way, but when I edit /etc/inittab to call uugetty
rather than getty, something strange happens.
	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".
	Any ideas?

	Jeff Carroll
	carroll@atc.boeing.com

rtidd@ccels3 (Randy C. Tidd w33 x6499) (02/16/90)

In article <20286@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I have a modem on a serial port on my System V/386 box which I
>would like to use for dialout as well as dialin. getty works fine, in
>the usual expected way, but when I edit /etc/inittab to call uugetty
>rather than getty, something strange happens.
>	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
>dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".

I wish I could help you, but I can only agree with you. I normally use
kermit to dial out, and when I have uugetty running on my serial port
kermit will run fine, but when I tell it to connect to the tty it
just hangs... no error message or anything, it just freezes.

>	Any ideas?
Any ideas?

Randy Tidd
rtidd@mwunix.mitre.org
#define DISCLAIM TRUE

kdq@demott.COM (Kevin D. Quitt) (02/17/90)

    In our Systems file is the line:

modem any direct 19200 - - - - -

then, we just cu modem.

kdq

--

Kevin D. Quitt                          Manager, Software Development
DeMott Electronics Co.                  VOICE (818) 988-4975

stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) (02/17/90)

In article <97213@linus.UUCP> rtidd@mwunix.mitre.org writes:
>In article <20286@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>>	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
>>dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>>cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".

>I wish I could help you, but I can only agree with you. I normally use
>kermit to dial out, and when I have uugetty running on my serial port
>kermit will run fine, but when I tell it to connect to the tty it
>just hangs... no error message or anything, it just freezes.

The problem seems to be with kermit.  I think it's not putting the lock file
where uugetty expects to see it, or something.  I have to manually turn off
the uugetty to use kermit, but cu _usually_ works OK.  Sometimes even turning
off uugetty isn't enough, and I have to reboot with the uugetty turned off in
order to make everyone happy.

If someone has solved this problem for real, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your
solution!!!!!!

Steve
--
| Steve Ward Jr. appears courtesy of       |            stevewa@upvax.UUCP    |
| Univ. of Portland, Portland, OR          |         !tektronix!upvax!stevewa |

lars@iclswe.UUCP (Lars Tunkrans) (02/19/90)

In article <20286@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I have a modem on a serial port on my System V/386 box which I
>would like to use for dialout as well as dialin. getty works fine, in
>the usual expected way, but when I edit /etc/inittab to call uugetty
>rather than getty, something strange happens.
>	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
>dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".
>	Any ideas?

   My inittab looks like this :

    14:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -t 30 -r tty14 2400 vt100

   And the Systems file:

    modem Never modem 2400

   And the Devices file:

    modem tty14 - Any direct \D

   If this config doesn't work, you probably have a RS232 interface
problem.  My DRS300 wants DCD, DSR and CTS high as a condition to
transmit anything on the interface. If the carrier is missing it does
indeed behave as you describe. It is possible to dial in to the system
without setting DCD high permanently because the carrier is raised by
the incomming call.

   If you want to do  " cu nodename " you need to do a more detailed
config on a per system basis including the Dialers file. The above
config allows you to connect to the modem and use its AT-commands if you
are using Hayes compatible modems.
-----

--
The ICL DRS6000    | Lars Tunkrans  DRS Systems support  Phone +46 (0)76096368.
Series has the     | UUCP: {uunet,mcsun,munnari,cernvax,diku,inria,prlb2,tut,ukc

porterg@csusac.csus.edu (Greg Porter) (02/19/90)

Do you have an entry in your your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file?  If the
proper entry for the type and speed of your equipment is not there it
will not work.  A few examples:

ACU tty01 - 2400 att2224b
Direct tty00 - 9600 direct
--
| Greg Porter         |  UUCP:  ..ucdavis!csusac!porterg   -OR-               |
| CSU, Sacramento     |         ..ames!pacbell!sactoh0!csusac!porterg         |

fk@kos.rci.dk (Fleming Kraglund) (02/20/90)

carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I have a modem on a serial port on my System V/386 box which I
>would like to use for dialout as well as dialin. getty works fine, in
>the usual expected way, but when I edit /etc/inittab to call uugetty
>rather than getty, something strange happens.
>	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
>dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".
>	Any ideas?

This error usally occurs when the owner of /dev/tty00 isn't uucp

<fk

olapw@olgb1.oliv.co.uk (Tony Walton) (02/21/90)

In article <20286@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I have a modem on a serial port on my System V/386 box which I
>	would like to use for dialout as well as dialin. getty works fine, [but]
>	uugetty doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>	cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".

It might be the ownership on /dev/tty00 - cu runs setuid uucp, so tty00 should
be 622 mode *and owned by uucp*

On your cu -d output, do you get

blahblahblah...
mlock tty00 succeeded
generic open failed, errno = 13
more blahblahblah

If so, that's your problem (errno 13 is EACCES - ie "permission denied").
If that's the case, just chown uucp /dev/tty00 and it should be OK.

--
Tony Walton, OEM/VAR Division, British Olivetti Ltd., 154-160 Upper Richmond Rd,
LONDON, SW15 2FN.  Tel: (+44) 1 789 6699 Telefax: (+44) 1 785 6670 Telex:27258

bgo@PacBell.COM (Bud Odekirk) (02/21/90)

In article <20286@bcsaic.UUCP> carroll@bcsaic.UUCP (Jeff Carroll) writes:

>	I have a modem on a serial port on my System V/386 box which I
>would like to use for dialout as well as dialin. getty works fine, in
>the usual expected way, but when I edit /etc/inittab to call uugetty
>rather than getty, something strange happens.
>	uugetty handles incoming calls OK, but when I try to use cu to
>dial out, it doesn't seem to be able to open the tty line. Running
>cu -d -ltty00 the system tells me "CAN'T ACCESS DEVICE".

I have Interactive Unix (System V 3.2) and I am having the identical problem.
I called the Interactive Hotline (1-800-344-3896) and they are sending me a
fix (X5 update) that is supposed to correct the problem.

\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\
  2600 Camino Ramon, Room 3W600E
  San Ramon, Ca. 94583
  415 823-1379
  {att,bellcore,sun,ames,pyramid}!pacbell!pbhya!bgo
/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\*/\

ggw@wolves.uucp (Gregory G. Woodbury) (02/23/90)

In article <1061@upvax.UUCP> stevewa@upvax.UUCP (Steve Ward) writes:
>The problem seems to be with kermit.  I think it's not putting the lock file
>where uugetty expects to see it, or something.  I have to manually turn off
>the uugetty to use kermit, but cu _usually_ works OK.  Sometimes even turning
>off uugetty isn't enough, and I have to reboot with the uugetty turned off in
>order to make everyone happy.
>
>If someone has solved this problem for real, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE post your
>solution!!!!!!

The kermit makefile is full of all sorts of interesting things.
The ckutio.c file has a define for HDBUUCP (or something like that,
I'm to lazy to look right now ;-) that takes care of having the lock files
placed in the correct place (/usr/spool/locks) and with the correct format
(pid of the locking process as an ascii string).

There is a make bsdhdb target that turns on this define, but last version of
kermit I got from columbia did NOT have a similar s5r3hdb and the s5r3 did
not define it.  System V Release 3.1 made HoneyDanBer UUCP the default and
decided to call it BNU (Basic Network Utilities).  Some vendors of S5R3.1
removed BNU/HDB from the basic system and make it an extra cost option.
All that is necessary is to add an s5r3hdb target to the kermit makefile which
defines the necessary symbol and rebuild kermit.

I use kermit all the time on my V2.0.1 system and the uugetty works fine as long
as the line permissions are ok.

The one other thing to check is to make sure that the cable between the modem
and the serial port correctly supports DTR!  If not, you will have problems with
the line and turnaround.

--
Gregory G. Woodbury
Sysop/owner Wolves Den UNIX BBS, Durham NC

cbp@icc.com (Chris Preston) (02/24/90)

In article <1990Feb19.052909.24336@csusac.csus.edu> porterg@csusac.UUCP (Greg Porter) writes:

>Do you have an entry in your your /usr/lib/uucp/Devices file?  If the
>proper entry for the type and speed of your equipment is not there it
>will not work.  A few examples:
>
>ACU tty01 - 2400 att2224b
>Direct tty00 - 9600 direct
>--

   Having read a dozen or more articles on this thread, and having sent mail
to the original source of the question, maybe a followup is appropriate.

   There is a problem with uugetty in some versions of System V 3.2 (under
various other version names) by various vendors.  Some uugetty versions
apparently have problems with some types of modems (e.g. Avatex 2400).
The solution we implemented was to get a PD program called modem-ctl,
Volume 15, Issue 10.  It replaces uugetty altogether.  We have been using
it for about six months and have had no problems dialing in or out
using uucp/cu/kermit/younameit.  It also has a timeout feature that
alows disconnection after a given period of inactivity.  The author's
last known (to us) posting follows:

[Reposted without permission of the author becuause I have no idea how
to contact him]
>Submitted-by: Dave Settle <No net address>
>Posting-number: Volume 15, Issue 10
>Archive-name: modem-ctl

>[  Seems oriented toward System V-oid machines...  --r$  ]
>
>	I'm submitting the new version of 'modem', a program
>to allow a line connected to a modem to be used for bi-directional
>uucp/cu accesses.
>
>	It functionally replaces 'uugetty', but provides a more sophisticated
>method of talking to intelligent modems, which can screw up uugetty by
>talking too much.
>
>	The new version now has support for hardware DCD detection, which
>allows the shell to be hungup when the line is dropped.
>
>Cheers,
>	Dave.
Hope this helps.

cbp

Disclaimer: --al knows tofu!  Hiya --al!