[comp.unix.questions] Apparently-To in sendmail

rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca (B. Rahardjo) (02/25/90)

I posted this question before but never got an answer.
I am trying to make a mailing list based on sendmail.
It turns out every mail has a list of the recipients in the header,
i.e.

Apparently-To: mr.a@bcd.ejk
Apparently-To: mr.z@bcd.ejk

How can I hide this ? Can someone give me a good example of mailing
list (and how to protect bounced mails) ?

Budi
--
Budi Rahardjo        | rahardj@ccu.UManitoba.CA
Electrical Eng.      | rahardj@ccm.UManitoba.CA

jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM (Jeff Beadles) (02/25/90)

In <1990Feb24.205557.7474@ccu.umanitoba.ca> rahardj@ccu.umanitoba.ca writes:
>It turns out every mail has a list of the recipients in the header,

>Apparently-To: mr.a@bcd.ejk
>Apparently-To: mr.z@bcd.ejk

>How can I hide this ? Can someone give me a good example of mailing
>list (and how to protect bounced mails) ?

Sendmail adds "Apparently-To:" lines when there's no "To:" line in the mail
header.  To get rid of it, add a "To:" line :-)

Since you have sendmail, it would probably be a good idea to add a alias in
your /usr/lib/aliases file.  Something like this:

mailing-list-out:	list,of,people...

And, then address your outbound email to "mailing-list-out"

	-Jeff
--
Jeff Beadles				jeff@quark.WV.TEK.COM
Utek Engineering, Tektronix Inc.	+1 503 685 2568