[comp.unix.questions] Book on vi editor needed.

mldenny@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael L. Denny) (02/19/90)

Note: I have already posted to comp.editors

Hopefully my question that I am about to address has not been asked
too many times, but here goes.

I am looking for a book that would service as a tutorial type manual for
the editor vi.  The editor at my new job is vi, they have no other editor
available so books on only vi would be most appreciated!
The bookstore mentioned that I would need the title and publisher before
they would be able to track the book down for ordering purposes.

Thanks to all that reply, and any suggestions as to a newsgroup I may
cross post to, to gather more information would be appreciated.

(P.S. Are there any editors out there that act like the LSE editor
 on VAX/VMS that run under the Unix OS?)

Direct e-mail to:

UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mldenny
ARPA: mldenny@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

*--- Michael L. Denny ---*
*---     :-()         ---*

meggers@orion.oac.uci.edu (mark eggers) (02/20/90)

A book that I find useful is:

Vi--the unix screen editor, by August Hansen, Prentice Hall Press (Brady
	Communications Company, Inc.), 1986

Hope this helps - /mde/

gordond@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Gordon DeWitte) (02/21/90)

One possibility:

	"UNIX Text Processing"
	Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
	Hayden Books
	ISBN 0-672-46291-5

henry@angel.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton--Software Products) (02/21/90)

In article <10778@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mldenny@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael L. Denny) writes:

    *  I am looking for a book that would service as a
    *  tutorial type manual for the editor vi.  The editor at
    *  my new job is vi, they have no other editor available
    *  so books on only vi would be most appreciated!  The
    *  bookstore mentioned that I would need the title and
    *  publisher before they would be able to track the book
    *  down for ordering purposes.

My first suggestion is Editing in a UNIX Environment
		    The vi/ex Editor,
		    by Mohamed el Lozy, published by Prentice-Hall.

My second suggestion is Introducing UNIX System V
			by Rachel Morgan and Henry McGilton
			published by McGraw-Hill
			covers UNIX in general, in addition to VI.

My third suggestion is  A Practical Guide to UNIX System V
			by Mark Sobell
			published by Benjamin Cummings
			also a general book on UNIX,
			with a good chapter on VI.

	............ Henry

| Henry McGilton    | The days of UNIX as a    |                           |
| Sun Microsystems  | phenomenon are over; now | arpa: hmcgilton@sun.com   |
| 2550 Garcia       | we want to know what     | uucp: ...!sun!angel!henry |
| Mountain View, CA | UNIX can do for us.      |                           |

andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk (Andy Clews) (02/21/90)

From article <5220004@hpmwmkt3.HP.COM>, by gordond@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Gordon DeWitte):
> One possibility:
>
> 	"UNIX Text Processing"
> 	Dale Dougherty and Tim O'Reilly
> 	Hayden Books
> 	ISBN 0-672-46291-5

And of course, there is:

	"A Guide to VI: Visual editing on the UNIX(tm) system"
	Dan Sonnenschein
	Prentice-Hall
	ISBN 0-13-371311-3

--
Andy Clews, Computing Service, Univ. of Sussex, Brighton BN1 9QN, England
JANET: andy@syma.sussex.ac.uk   BITNET: andy%syma.sussex.ac.uk@uk.ac

friedl@mtndew.UUCP (Steve Friedl) (02/21/90)

In article <10778@bsu-cs.bsu.edu>, mldenny@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael L. Denny) writes:

> I am looking for a book that would service as a tutorial type manual for
> the editor vi.  The editor at my new job is vi, they have no other editor
> available so books on only vi would be most appreciated!
> The bookstore mentioned that I would need the title and publisher before
> they would be able to track the book down for ordering purposes.

The Nutshell handbook on vi is *outstanding*.  The writing style
is excellent (as are the Nutshell books), and even I learned a couple
of things from the book.  Call O'Reilly & Assoc at +1 800 338 NUTS.

You can't go wrong with a Nutshell handbook.

     Steve

P.S. - just a satisfied customer, etc.

--
Stephen J. Friedl, KA8CMY / Software Consultant / Tustin, CA / 3B2-kind-of-guy
+1 714 544 6561 voice   /   friedl@vsi.com   /   {uunet,attmail}!mtndew!friedl

"Winning the Balridge Quality Award is as easy as falling off a horse." - me

rick@comspec.UUCP (Rick McCalla) (02/26/90)

There is also a good book put out by O'Reilly & Associates - a nutshell
handbook called 'Learning the vi editor'.

You can contact O'Reilly at 1-800-338-nuts or uunet!ora!nuts

--
Comspec Communications Inc.                 | Rick McCalla  ----- rick@comspec
Toronto, Ontario  Canada                    |----------------------------------