[comp.unix.questions] Please help

mariou@ut-emx.UUCP (c) (02/28/90)

We have Sun0S.4.0.3 in our lab.  I am trying to use
the vacation program with no success.
Once or twice it worked but I do not remember what I
did meaning what my write, read etc permissions were
because I kept changing them to make it work.
At any rate can someone help me?
What permissions should I have for my directory
my .vacation.msg etc programs?
Or why is it not working?
I am not an expert computer user and am trying to
make sense out of incomprehensible to me computer linquo.
Thanks a lot for any help anyone can give me.

Mariou Barr

gamin@ireq-robot.UUCP (Martin Boyer) (02/28/90)

In article <25204@ut-emx.UUCP> mariou@ut-emx.UUCP (c) writes:

>We have Sun0S.4.0.3 in our lab.  I am trying to use
>the vacation program with no success.

I had the same problem; it had to do with sender addresses and sendmail
(I think).  Anyways, here's my solution:

1. Use the vacation program to set up the database of replies.

2. Modify the created .forward file to include the vacation `-j' flag;
   as in:

\gamin, "|/usr/ucb/vacation -j gamin"

--
Martin Boyer                         ireq-robot!mboyer@Larry.McRCIM.McGILL.EDU
Institut de recherche d'Hydro-Quebec mboyer@ireq-robot.uucp

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (03/01/90)

I also could not get this to work. It used to work in 3.5. I believe
it's a Sun bug. I gave up and compiled a private copy of the 4.3 BSD
version.