[comp.unix.questions] BASIC for UNIX?

zimm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan Yolles) (02/25/90)

Some of you may recall my failed attempts to get info on PD Unix Databases
(it turns out that there are really only two: INDEX, which is only suitable
for very simple tasks, and INGRES which is only suitable for insanely
complicated ones).

If I only had a BASIC for UNIX, I could do everything I need. Ideally,
it would be able to use UNIX shell commands, too, and have decent
string manipulation abilities.

Every UNIX utility (awk, sed, grep, etc.) has some wacky limitation that
makes it unusable to me. I need BASIC! Please! (This is really getting
horrible--if I had an 8k PET I would have gotten this darn thing done
a long time ago...)

djy
zimm@portia.stanford.edu

sigma@pawl.rpi.edu (Kevin J Martin) (02/25/90)

BASIC?

For *nix?

You just don't understand.

:-)
--
"I'm Pregnant" Insists Frank Sinatra.

samlb@pioneer.arc.nasa.gov (Sam Bassett RCD) (02/25/90)

	Try FORTRAN -- it's enough like BASIC that you should be able to
learn it quickly enough to do what you need.

Sam'l Bassett, Sterling Software @ NASA Ames Research Center,
Moffett Field CA 94035 Work: (415) 694-4792;  Home: (415) 969-2644
samlb@well.sf.ca.us                     samlb@ames.arc.nasa.gov
<Disclaimer> := 'Sterling doesn't _have_ opinions -- much less NASA!'

mende@athos.rutgers.edu (Bob Mende Pie) (02/26/90)

In article <9519@portia.Stanford.EDU> zimm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan
Yolles) writes:

> If I only had a BASIC for UNIX, I could do everything I need. Ideally,
> it would be able to use UNIX shell commands, too, and have decent
> string manipulation abilities.

Well... I have two solutions for you...
    The program/language perl has very powerful string manipulation
abilities, as well as a *very* powerful interface to unix.   I am sure that
you can get the current version on any of the standard archive sites, and
it is probably up at stanford as well.   I would think that this is a good
choice.
    If you really really want basic, there is one implementation floating
around... I dont know much about it except that it does exist... You can
find a copy of the src (not a tar file) via anonymous ftp from
topaz.rutgers.edu in /pyr-public/languages/Basic.

					/Bob...
--
{...}!rutgers!mende         mende@cs.rutgers.edu          mende@zodiac.bitnet

bogatko@lzga.ATT.COM (George Bogatko) (02/26/90)

Microsoft BASIC exists on the UNIX PC.

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (02/27/90)

In article <9519@portia.Stanford.EDU>, zimm@portia.Stanford.EDU (Dylan Yolles) writes:

> If I only had a BASIC for UNIX, I could do everything I need. Ideally,
> it would be able to use UNIX shell commands, too, and have decent
> string manipulation abilities.

At least two PD BASIC interpreters have been posted to some of the sources
groups. As for commercial BASIC's, there are quite a few of them. UX/BASIC
from HCR includes true ISAM file support (the interpreter is linked with
C-ISAM from Informix) and BASIC statements for many UNIX system calls. And
I'm sure there are a number of other BASIC's out there.

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

adam@stevenage.dynamics.british-aerospace.co.uk (Adam Curtin) (02/27/90)

I think you made a simple typo. Didn't you really mean "If I only had an APL for
UNIX" ?? Then that stuff about UNIX shell commands and decent string manipulation
abilities would make sense. Try Dyadic Systems Ltd, Park House, The High Street,
Alton, Hants, England (tel +44 420 87024 - Peter Donnelly) for THE UNIX APL -
Dyalog APL - special rates for ".edu" users. You can thank me later.
These opinions are mine (and a lot of other people's) but not necessarily those
of my employer.

linder@hpcvca.CV.HP.COM (Tom Linder) (03/01/90)

HP has BASIC for HP-UX.  It is called BASIC/UX.

Tom Linder linder@cv.hp.com

dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) (03/02/90)

There is a comercial version of BASIC available for SCO Xenix/Unix and
other version of UNIX.  The name of the product is Workstation Basic
and is avaiable from:

ABC Development Systems
3433 Broadway St., NE, Ste. 260
Minneapolis, MN  55413
(612)331-8844

As far as BASIC goes this is a fully function version based on the
BASIC used by the IBM 36.  There are alot a better languages like
C ect. and I highly recomend these over ANY version of BASIC.

Dave Armbrust               |     uunet!pcssc!dma
PC Software Systems         |     Phone: (813)365-1162
2121 Cornell Street         |
Sarasota, FL 34237          |

jak@sactoh0.UUCP (Jay A. Konigsberg) (03/04/90)

In article <204@pcssc.UUCP> dma@pcssc.UUCP (Dave Armbrust) writes:
>There is a comercial version of BASIC available for SCO Xenix/Unix and
>other version of UNIX.  The name of the product is Workstation Basic
>and is avaiable from:

>As far as BASIC goes this is a fully function version based on the
>BASIC used by the IBM 36.  There are alot a better languages like
>C ect. and I highly recomend these over ANY version of BASIC.

I would agree that BASIC is generally not the best language.
However, if one MUST use BASIC, look at BBx from Basis Inc. It
includes all of the necessary structures that make it useful and
includes lots of file structures to make development easy.

Even though I know this language, I also prefer C for its
flexibility and useability, but there are those...
Jay @ SAC-UNIX, Sacramento, Ca.   UUCP=...pacbell!sactoh0!jak