[comp.unix.questions] Urgent: Info on binary compatibility

M.Pacheco@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Marco Pacheco) (03/03/90)

Does anybody know any reference (standard, book, article) on ABI
(Appl. Binary Interface) and Intel's BCS (Binary Comp.
Standards).

Many thanks for any help.

Marco Pacheco (marco@cs.ucl.ac.uk)

ry@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (ryerson.schwark) (03/06/90)

In article <22627@adm.BRL.MIL> M.Pacheco@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Marco Pacheco) writes:

>Does anybody know any reference (standard, book, article) on ABI
>(Appl. Binary Interface) and Intel's BCS (Binary Comp.
>Standards).
>Many thanks for any help.

i860, 386/486, M68000 Family, M88000, SPARC, We32000, and MIPS R2000
ABIs will be available from Prentice Hall and you should be able to
get them through your local bookstores.	 The Generic ABI, which describes
all non-processor specific features and the We32000 supplement are
available now.

Their ISBN numbers are:

generic: 0-13-877598-2
We32000: 0-13-877606-7

The rest should be available in around 3 months(except the MIPS which should
be available in the fall) due to the lag between completion of the
document and printing.

BCSs document Release 3.2 based systems and are available from 88open
for the M88000, from Motorola for the M68000, from Intel for the 386,
from AT&T for the We32000 and the Generic Portion.  AT&T BCS documents
are available from our CIC (Customer Information Center).  The Select
Codes are 320-168 for the generic and 320-169 for the We32000 Supplement.

You may also order the ABIs through CIC if you wish, though you will
probably find that your local bookstore can serve you better.

Additionally, the System V Interface Definition, Third Edition
is currently available from CIC.  The Select code is 320-135 for
the four volume set.

Ry Schwark
rye@attunix.att.com