[comp.unix.questions] RPCGEN

tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan) (03/08/90)

Hi,

Sometime ago, I posted a question on freeing memory used by XDR routines
when using RPC.  I received a reply from Mr. Hoegemen (Mike Hoegeman,
mh@awds26.eaton.com) about using a program RPCGEN to automatically
generate code for creating server.

However, my mail to him keep bouncing back.

Mr. Hoegeman, I need more information about rpcgen.  Is it public domain?
If so, where can I get it; it isn't available on my local machines.
Can you send me a sample code generated by rpcgen for reference.

Thanks in advance.  Sorry for taking up net bandwidth.

--ph tan
tph@cs.utexas.edu

vladimir@prosper.Sun.COM (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) (03/09/90)

In article <14@kalahari.cs.utexas.edu> tph@cs.utexas.edu (Pow-Hwee Tan)
writes:

= I need more information about rpcgen.

RPCGEN is part of Sun's RPC and XDR standards.  They are freely
available but not public domain.  Try getting a reference
implementation from sun.com using anonymous ftp.  (I'm not sure that
that's the place...)  Let me know if you need more information.

jean@imag.imag.fr (Jean Chouanard) (03/09/90)

In article <86@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM> vladimir@prosper.Eng.Sun.COM (Vladimir G. Ivanovic) writes:

>RPCGEN is part of Sun's RPC and XDR standards.  They are freely
>available but not public domain.  Try getting a reference
>implementation from sun.com using anonymous ftp.  (I'm not sure that
>that's the place...)  Let me know if you need more information.

Just a little precision about the right place where to get RPCSRC:

Sun's freely licensed RPC/XDR implementation, RPCSRC 4.0, is now
available via anonymous ftp from bcm.tmc.edu and from the
archive-server@bcm.tmc.edu.

If you use the archive server, send mail to archive-server@bcm.tmc.edu
with a Subject of "send nfs index" to see all the names of the files.
Sending a message with the Subject "help" will return to you more
information about the archive server itself.

To use anonymous FTP, use the ftp program to connect to bcm.tmc.edu.
When prompted for a user name, enter "anonymous".  When prompted for
a password, enter your user ID (such as "sxn@sun.com").  Then
change directories (cd) to the "nfs" directory, where you will find
the RPCSRC files.

There are 17 shar files in the main library and 4 shar files for
secure rpc.

Thanks for Steve Nahn who give me this indication.
--
    Les amants sont maigres, les maris sont gras. (Alex Barbier : Lycaons).
Jean Chouanard        		|	jean@imag.imag.fr