[comp.unix.questions] cat >file remote xfers

djc@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) (03/09/90)

In the absence of kermit, I was told that I could invoke

cat >file_name

on the host machine and pass data from my machine to the
host w/o a hitch. What I've discovered is that "cat" works
with small amounts of data being transferred - but why can't
I xfer more than about 2K of data before the host "goes crazy?"

Is it the lack of "checking" going on between the two machines
to insure data was received?

--
Jacques Cazier (713)-333-0966
{decvax,philabs}!linus!mbunix!jak or jak@mbunix.mitre.org

In article <101576@linus.UUCP> djc@mbunix.mitre.org (Cazier) writes:
>In the absence of kermit, I was told that I could invoke
>
>cat >file_name
>
>on the host machine and pass data from my machine to the
>host w/o a hitch.

This will usually work under the following conditions:

	1. the data is all printable ASCII
	2. the tty ports support the same form of flow control
	3. No line in the file is longer than the tty line buffer (usually
	   256 bytes)

Most modern CUs support a ~%take and ~%put for performing this form
of file transfer without having to type in the cat, stty, etc on both.
They also display a count of the number of K transferred so you know the
data is still going.

Whenever you use this form of file transfer be sure to sum(1) the file
on each end to ensure that it made it in it's entirety.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170