[comp.unix.questions] How safe is rlogin protocol ?

jand@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Jan Derriks) (03/09/90)

>                        What About Those People
>       Who Continue to Ask Stupid or Frequently Asked Questions

I suppose I'll be one of those now:
  A student was so smart as to make a .rhosts file in uucppublic and thus
  being able to work under uid=uucp.
  Fixing this, my collegue said it's always possible to 'break in' a users
  account by talking the right protocol to rlogind (if a .rhosts exists).
  Just say your 'billy' and start a remote shell as user 'billy'.
Is it so easy ? How is the rlogin protocol protected against this ?

>Just send them a polite mail message, possibly referring them to this document.
>There is no need to flame them on the net - it's busy enough as it is.

Thanx.
--
Jan Derriks                  |       AHA-TMF (H.T.S. 'Amsterdam'),
jand@maestro.htsa.aha.nl     |       Europaboulevard 23,

In article <1562@maestro.htsa.aha.nl> jand@maestro.htsa.aha.nl (Jan Derriks) writes:
>  Just say your 'billy' and start a remote shell as user 'billy'.
>Is it so easy ? How is the rlogin protocol protected against this ?

Rlogind requires that the source port of the connection be in the range
from 512 to 1023, and Unix only allows root to open connections like this;
rlogin is setuid to root, and it always specifies the correct local user
name.  So long as Billy's .rhosts file only lists Unix hosts on which he
trust the superuser he's relatively safe.  However, if there are any
completely insecure systems (such as PC's) on the subnet then there can be
problems due to address spoofing, which renders the host names in the
.rhosts file ineffective.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com