[net.cooks] Kelly's Asian Chicken

cw (08/06/82)

                          Kelly's Asian Chicken

       Ingredients

       3 Tbl       peanut oil
       3-4 lb      cutup frying chicken or chicken parts
       1 bulb      garlic peeled and chopped coarsely
       2 small     dried hot red chili peppers -- may substitute
                   about 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (optional)
       3/4 cup     distilled white vinegar
       1/4 cup     soy sauce
       3 Tbl       honey

       Method

       Heat the oil in a heavy skillet (i.e., cast iron or heavy
       aluminum) not quite to smoking.  Brown the chicken parts
       thoroughly in the oil.  This will take 10-15 minutes, will
       do much of the cooking of the chicken, and will splatter
       some.  When the chicken is nearly brown, add the garlic and
       the red pepper.  Do not let the garlic burn.

       Add the remaining ingredients when the chicken is thoroughly
       brown.  Continue to cook over medium high heat until the
       chicken is completely cooked and the sauce is reduced
       somewhat.  The sauce will come to a foamy boil.  Do not let
       it reduce completely; add a little water if necessary.  The
       chicken should be turned regularly in the boiling sauce to
       coat all pieces thoroughly.  This process will take about 10
       minutes; some pieces may cook a little more quickly and can
       be put aside to wait for the others to finish.

       Notes

       When the liquid ingredients are added to the chicken and hot
       oil, there may be a little spattering.  Take the pan off the
       heat for this step.  This recipe was a prize winner at the
       1980 Gilroy Garlic Festival.

seb@ahutb.UUCP (s.e.badian) (04/07/85)

From The Garlic Lover's Cookbook, from Gilroy, California,
Celestrial Arts.

This absolutely mouth-watering chicken dish was unanimously
selected as the First Place Winner in the Garlic Recipe
Contest and Cook-off. It's a simple, inspired combination
that takes only 20 minutes to put together. Serve with cooked
Chinese noodles and then stand back and let the compliments
fly! [We loved it. One of the best chicken recipes.]

3.5 lb. frying chicken, cut into serving pieces, or the
equivalent in chicken parts of your choice.
3 tablespoons peanut oil
1 bulb(not clove) fresh garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
2 small dried hot red peppers(optional)
0.75 cup distilled white vinegar
0.25 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey

Heat oil in large, HEAVY, skillet and brown chicken well on all
sides, adding garlic and peppers toward the end. Add remaining
ingredients and cook over medium high heat until chicken is done
and sauce has been reduced somewhat. This will not take long,
less than 10 minutes. If you are cooking both white and dark
meat, remove white meat first so it does not dry out. Watch very
carefully so that sauce doesn't burn or boil away. There should
be a quantity of sauce left to serve with the chicken, and the
chicken should appear slightly glazed. Serve with Chinese noodles,
pasta or rice.

Sharon Badian   ihnp4!hocsp!ahutb!seb
Everyone who loves garlic should run out and buy the cookbook
that this recipe came from. Gilroy is the garlic capital of
the world and has a big garlic festival every August. All you
folks in the Bay Area should definitely try to check it out.

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (04/10/85)

Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
	    "Out of the proverbial frying pan..."

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (04/16/85)

--------
[]
>In article <638@ahutb.UUCP> seb@ahutb.UUCP (s.e.badian) writes:
>From The Garlic Lover's Cookbook, from Gilroy, California, Celestrial Arts.
>
>This absolutely mouth-watering chicken dish was unanimously
>selected as the First Place Winner in the Garlic Recipe
>Contest and Cook-off. It's a simple, inspired combination
>that takes only 20 minutes to put together...
>
>3.5 lb. frying chicken, cut into serving pieces, or the
>equivalent in chicken parts of your choice.
>3 tablespoons peanut oil
>1 bulb(not clove) fresh garlic, peeled and coarsely chopped
>2 small dried hot red peppers(optional)
>0.75 cup distilled white vinegar
>0.25 cup soy sauce
>3 tablespoons honey
>
>Heat oil in large, HEAVY, skillet and brown chicken well on all
>sides, adding garlic and peppers toward the end. Add remaining
>ingredients and cook over medium high heat until chicken is done
>and sauce has been reduced somewhat. This will not take long,
>less than 10 minutes. If you are cooking both white and dark
>meat, remove white meat first so it does not dry out. Watch very
>carefully so that sauce doesn't burn or boil away. There should
>be a quantity of sauce left to serve with the chicken, and the
>chicken should appear slightly glazed. Serve with Chinese noodles,
>pasta or rice.

We tried it last night, and found it excellent!  Local modifications
were minor: we cooked for two, using three breasts (probably 2.5lb total)
and half the garlic (since we used about half the chicken).  All else was
the same; we had it with rice.  My only changes might be to the sauce: I'd
(maybe) remove most of the garlic bits with a slotted spoon, then thicken
the sauce slightly.  A possible addition is 1/2 tsp sesame oil for a real
oriental flavor.

Wonderful recipe!
Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
    "If you're wondering if you left the coffeepot on, you probably did."

ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) (04/22/85)

> and half the garlic (since we used about half the chicken).

No, no!  Use *twice* the garlic with half the chicken.  Whenever
modifying a recipe with garlic in it, *always* double the garlic,
even when halving the recipe.

--
Ed Gould		    mt Xinu, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!mtxinu!ed   +1 415 644 0146

mogul@Shasta.ARPA (04/24/85)

> > and half the garlic (since we used about half the chicken).
>
> No, no!  Use *twice* the garlic with half the chicken.  Whenever
> modifying a recipe with garlic in it, *always* double the garlic,
> even when halving the recipe.

Almost right, Ed: always double the garlic whether you modify
the recipe or not.

Doubling the garlic in a recipe isn't modifying it.  Recipe
writers *expect* you to double it, so they never specify enough. :-)

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (04/25/85)

--------
[]
>In article <352@mtxinu.UUCP> ed@mtxinu.UUCP (Ed Gould) writes:
>> and half the garlic (since we used about half the chicken).
>
>No, no!  Use *twice* the garlic with half the chicken.  Whenever
>modifying a recipe with garlic in it, *always* double the garlic,
>even when halving the recipe.
>
>--
Golly, Ed! if you like garlic *that* much, maybe I shouldn't even *consider*
the train to Portland!  hmmm....unless I can find a surplus gas mask (:-)
Opinions expressed have been generated solely by line-noise.
{cbosgd,decwrl,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!cadtec!rick    N1150G   (408) 942-1535
	"Ukiah, CA (AP): Amtrak railcar melted by garlic fumes..."

seb@mtgzy.UUCP (s.e.badian) (02/26/86)

Cross posted from mod.recipes for those of you who don't get both.

     AAAASSSSIIIIAAAANNNN----CCCCHHHHIIIICCCCKKKKEEEENNNN((((MMMM))))    mmmmoooodddd....rrrreeeecccciiiippppeeeessss ((((22225555 FFFFeeeebbbb 1111999988886666))))    AAAASSSSIIIIAAAANNNN----CCCCHHHHIIIICCCCKKKKEEEENNNN((((MMMM))))

     KKKKeeeellllllllyyyy''''ssss AAAAssssiiiiaaaannnn CCCChhhhiiiicccckkkkeeeennnn
          ASIAN-CHICKEN - Fast, simple, DELICIOUS chicken recipe

          Another winner from _T_h_e _G_a_r_l_i_c _L_o_v_e_r'_s _C_o_o_k_b_o_o_k . Don't let
          the amount of garlic scare you.

     IIIINNNNGGGGRRRREEEEDDDDIIIIEEEENNNNTTTTSSSS ((((SSSSeeeerrrrvvvveeeessss 6666))))
          3.5 lb    _f_r_y_i_n_g _c_h_i_c_k_e_n cut into serving pieces, or
                    equivalent in chicken parts of your choice
          3 tbsp    _p_e_a_n_u_t _o_i_l
          1 bulb    _g_a_r_l_i_c peeled and coarsely chopped - and yes that
                    says BULB.
          2         _s_m_a_l_l _d_r_i_e_d _h_o_t _r_e_d _p_e_p_p_e_r_s (optional)
          3/4 cup   _d_i_s_t_i_l_l_e_d _w_h_i_t_e _v_i_n_e_g_a_r
          1/4 cup   _s_o_y _s_a_u_c_e
          3 tbsp    _h_o_n_e_y

     PPPPRRRROOOOCCCCEEEEDDDDUUUURRRREEEE
               (1)  Heat oil in large, heavy skillet and brown chicken
                    on all sides.

               (2)  Add garlic and peppers toward the end of browning
                    process.

               (3)  Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium
                    heat until chicken is done and sauce has reduced
                    somewhat. This takes about 10 minutes.

     NNNNOOOOTTTTEEEESSSS
          If you are cooking white and dark meat together remove white
          meat first or it will dry out.

          Watch that sauce does not burn or boil away.

          When you look in the skillet to see how everything is going
          and to get a whiff of the lovely aroma, DO NOT take a big
          whiff. The vinegar will knock you out!

          This recipe won first place at the Gilroy Garlic Cook-off.

          Serve with rice, Chinese noodles or pasta.

     RRRRAAAATTTTIIIINNNNGGGG
          _D_i_f_f_i_c_u_l_t_y: easy

          _T_i_m_e: Preparation: 5 minutes, Cooking: 20 minutes

          _P_r_e_c_i_s_i_o_n: measure vinegar, soy sauce and honey.

     CCCCOOOONNNNTTTTRRRRIIIIBBBBUUUUTTTTOOOORRRR
          Sharon Badian
          ihnp4!mtgzy!seb

     Page 1                                          (printed 2/25/86)