[comp.unix.questions] What's the best documentation size?

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (03/07/90)

What's the best size paper to use in software documentation?
Before the advent of the PC, 8.5 x 11 was the most common size; but
now 6 x 8.5 seems to be the most popular.  Which do you prefer?
Would it make any difference in your choice of software packages if
you could choose between the two?

   ...!emory!stiatl!todd
   Todd Merriman * 404-841-4000 * Atlanta, GA

kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) (03/10/90)

In article <9223@stiatl.UUCP> todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) writes:
>What's the best size paper to use in software documentation?

We have been using 5.5x8.5  (1/2 A), mostly because when we
started, our documents were small, and the smaller binders were
less expensive.  Now, our documents are not so small, and won't
fit comfortably in the small  1" binders, so we are contemplating
going to A size, depending in part on how we feel and in part on
what it will cost for the two different binder sizes on our next
order.

Our British (and European) distributor reformats our documents
onto A4 (I think.)  it's about 8x12 inches, and he uses a plastic
spiral binding.  Looks good, once you get used to it.

I'm not sure what our Japanese distributor uses, and it's all
translated into Japanese and printed in Kanji, anyway 8-)  (BTW,
the product runs in Kanji on Kanji terminals)

prc@erbe.se (Robert Claeson) (03/10/90)

In article <5923@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) writes:

> Our British (and European) distributor reformats our documents
> onto A4 (I think.)  it's about 8x12 inches

8.2 x 11.67 inches. Used almost everywhere except for the U.S. (Japan,
Australia, Africa, Europe...).

--
          Robert Claeson      E-mail: rclaeson@erbe.se
	  ERBE DATA AB

exspes@bath.ac.uk (P E Smee) (03/12/90)

In article <5923@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> kassover@jupiter.crd.ge.com (David Kassover) writes:

>Our British (and European) distributor reformats our documents
>onto A4 (I think.)  it's about 8x12 inches, and he uses a plastic
>spiral binding.  Looks good, once you get used to it.

Proper official A4 is 210x297 mm (8.27x11.69 inches).  Cut in half
gives A5, 148x210 mm.  (The theory is that it is based on A0, which has
an area of one square meter and sides in the ratio of 1 to square-root
of 2.  Cut in half gives A1, with the sides in the same ratio.  Halve
again for A2, and so on.  There's also a B series, less often used,
with same aspect ratio but based on B0 which is 1 meter on the short
side -- 1000x1414 mm.)

'Computer paper' A4 is a very close approximation, 8-1/4 by 11-2/3
inches, so that a 6 lpi printer will take an integral number of
line-throws per page (70).

My REAL reason for mentioning all this is so I can plead with software
documenters -- if you are producing preformatted documents which are
going to be distributed on magnetic media, for the user to print out,
PLEASE indicate end of page with a FORM FEED rather than by filling out
with blank lines.  Then the page boundaries will come out right on both
US 8.5x11, and European A4 lineprinter paper.  (The 1/4 inch difference
in width is not usually significant with normal margins.)  It's REALLY
BORING having to edit a document to stop it from crawling up the paper
at 4 lines per page.  (Or down 4 lines per page if the doc was
formatted for A4 and you're using US paper.)

--
Paul Smee, Computing Service, University of Bristol, Bristol BS8 1UD, UK
 P.Smee@bristol.ac.uk - ..!uunet!ukc!bsmail!p.smee - Tel +44 272 303132