[comp.unix.questions] Printer accounting and cutoff from UNIX: is it possible?

winfave@dutrun.UUCP (Alexander Verbraeck) (03/01/90)

At our department (information systems) a large number of students
are working on Unix systems (Sun, HP). These systems are connected
via ethernet. On the system we have a number of laser printers. At
the moment, students are wasting enormous amounts of paper using the
laser printers. We would like to limit their use of the printers.

Unix does accounting for the printers. Question: is it possible to
check for the number of printed pages and perform a "budget cutoff"
when the allowed number of pages is surpassed? Does anyone have
software for this?

BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
printer usage?

Any help would be appreciated!
Sincerely,
Alexander Verbraeck                  e-mail: winfave@dutrun.tudelft.nl
Delft University of Technology               winfave@hdetud1.bitnet
Department of Information Systems            winfave@dutrun.uucp
PO Box 356, 2600 AJ  The Netherlands         dutrun!winfave@hp4nl.uucp

murthy@algron.cs.cornell.edu (Chet Murthy) (03/02/90)

winfave@dutrun.UUCP (Alexander Verbraeck) writes:

>At our department (information systems) a large number of students
>are working on Unix systems (Sun, HP). These systems are connected
>via ethernet. On the system we have a number of laser printers. At
>the moment, students are wasting enormous amounts of paper using the
>laser printers. We would like to limit their use of the printers.

>Unix does accounting for the printers. Question: is it possible to
>check for the number of printed pages and perform a "budget cutoff"
>when the allowed number of pages is surpassed? Does anyone have
>software for this?

>BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
>printer usage?

On SUNs, there's the "af" field in the /etc/printcap file, which turns
on printer accounting. You then use the "pac(8)" filter to format and
sort the file.
	--chet--
	murthy@cs.cornell.edu

hughes@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (larry hughes) (03/02/90)

In article <1156@dutrun.UUCP> ed@duticai.UUCP (Ed de Wild) writes:
>BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
>printer usage?

Because the system won't crash if the printer runs out of paper,
but it will if it runs out of swap space!

 //=========================================================================\\
||       Larry J. Hughes, Jr.        ||        hughes@ucs.indiana.edu        ||
||        Indiana University         ||                                      ||
||   University Computing Services   ||   "The person who knows everything   ||
||    750 N. State Road 46 Bypass    ||      has a lot to learn."            ||
||      Bloomington, IN  47405       ||                                      ||
||         (812) 855-9255            ||   Disclaimer: Same as my quote...    ||
 \\==========================================================================//

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (03/02/90)

>Because the system won't crash if the printer runs out of paper,
>but it will if it runs out of swap space!

True, but I have seen a unix system (Vax 750, 4.2BSD) hang because the
console had run out of paper!  Putting in a new box of paper fixed the
problem.

-- Richard

--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

>>BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
>>printer usage?
>
>Because the system won't crash if the printer runs out of paper,
>but it will if it runs out of swap space!

First of all, not all UNIX systems "crash" if they run out of swap
space.  The program that's trying to, say, increase its data space may
get a "no can do" from "sbrk()" and have "malloc()" return NULL, but
that's a different matter.

Second of all, the disk space usage he was referring to was for *files*,
not for *swap space*.  Most UNIX systems don't "crash" if they run out
of disk space for files, either....

winfave@dutrun.UUCP (Alexander Verbraeck) (03/05/90)

The *why* of disk quotas is clear now. Thanks to all who reacted. But,
back to the original question: is something LIKE quotas also possible
for the number of PRINTED PAGES? Is there a UNIX system out there where
users have a LIMITED number of pages to spend???

Students will ruin you if you give them an unlimited number of pages to
print on laser printers... All those christmas cards, sports results,
etc. Which university is able to tell each user of the system: you have
x kilobytes of disk space, y pages to print, and your account is
finished on day z. I asked at our university, without any result. At one
faculty someone monitors the printer account files once or twice a day,
manually, and compares the number of printed pages with the limits,
also manually. When the number of pages is surpassed, he mails the
offending users, and after one or two warnings, he deletes their entry
from the passwd file, manually.

Hey: we aren't living in the stone age anymore!! Doesn't anyone have a
PROGRAM for this?

khera@juliet.cs.duke.edu (Vick Khera) (03/05/90)

In article <1159@dutrun.UUCP> winfave@dutrun.UUCP (A.Verbraeck) writes:
>Students will ruin you if you give them an unlimited number of pages to
>print on laser printers... All those christmas cards, sports results,
>etc. Which university is able to tell each user of the system: you have
>x kilobytes of disk space, y pages to print, and your account is
>finished on day z. [ description of manual printer limits deleted ]
>
>Hey: we aren't living in the stone age anymore!! Doesn't anyone have a
>PROGRAM for this?
>
>Alexander Verbraeck                  e-mail: winfave@dutrun.tudelft.nl

Academic Computing here at Duke implemented such a system. The students pay
up front for the number of pages they want.  The printing software tells
the LaserWriter how many pages it is allowed to print, sends the print job,
then asks the printer how many pages it actually printed.  This value is
subtracted from the account's remaining pages.  All of this is automatic.
This software runs on SunOS 4, by the way.

I don't know who to contact about this, I just know they have implemented
it. I am not affiliated with them in any way, so don't ask me for it.

								v.
Vick Khera                              Department of Computer Science
ARPA:   khera@cs.duke.edu               Duke University
UUCP:   ..!{mcnc,decvax}!duke!khera     Durham, NC 27706

juan@cobra.gatech.edu (Juan Orlandini) (03/07/90)

>>Students will ruin you if you give them an unlimited number of pages to
>>print on laser printers... All those christmas cards, sports results,
>>etc. Which university is able to tell each user of the system: you have
>>x kilobytes of disk space, y pages to print, and your account is
>>finished on day z. [ description of manual printer limits deleted ]
>>
>>Hey: we aren't living in the stone age anymore!! Doesn't anyone have a
>>PROGRAM for this?
>>
>>Alexander Verbraeck                  e-mail: winfave@dutrun.tudelft.nl

Here at Georgia Tech, the Office of Computer Services (OCS) gives each
student a permanent student account. They also give them a certain amount
of money (called banannas - for some reason unkown to me). All computers
under OCS management have accounting software that will subtract from the
allocated money based on what the user does. CPU time is more expensive
than mere storage which is about as expensive as printing. Different
platforms have different cost attributes, but are equivalent in terms of
"real" work done. (They use a set of benchmarks to determine the ratios).
This neatly solves user abuse problems. The more they abuse the less they
have money to abuse with. Extreme cases of abuse are dealt with immediately.
Overall, there is a subvocal grumble by most of the students about OCS
policy being restrictive, but with limited resources, it is a quite
effective way.

Now, ICS on the other hand ... (just kidding OCS :-)

Juan

 Juan Orlandini                ///                                   ///
 Super User at large          ///    What *I* say, *I* say.         ///
 juan@cobra.gatech.edu    \\\///     What *I* mean, *I* mean.   \\\///
 juan@prism.gatech.edu     \XX/      What *you* get, *you* get.  \XX/

chris@vision.UUCP (Chris Davies) (03/07/90)

In article <1159@dutrun.UUCP> winfave@dutrun.UUCP (A.Verbraeck) writes:
>back to the original question: is something LIKE quotas also possible
>for the number of PRINTED PAGES? Is there a UNIX system out there where
>users have a LIMITED number of pages to spend???

>Hey: we aren't living in the stone age anymore!! Doesn't anyone have a
>PROGRAM for this?

At the (UK) University I attended, this was indeed the case.  The Computer
Science dept had a setup whereby undergraduates had quotas for connect-time,
printer pages PER PRINTER, and of course, disk quota (both preferred and
enforced).  The printer-paper quota was quite generous for the ordinary
printers, but the laser printer was *very* restricted.  All quotas were
refreshed on a weekly basis.

This was on Ultrix a couple of years ago.  I don't know whether they still
have this setup or not.

For all of you who wonder why the Dept hasn't replied to this article thread:
it's simple: they are not on Usenet (but they are accesible via email).
However, I'm prepared to forward a message to their sysadmin (MAIL me), and
if s/he chooses, it can be taken from there (with email, not news).

			Chris
--
VISIONWARE LTD         | UK: chris@vision.uucp     JANET: chris%vision.uucp@ukc
57 Cardigan Lane       | US: chris@vware.mn.org    OTHER: chris@vision.co.uk

wrwalke@prcrs.UUCP (William Walker) (03/08/90)

In article <19636@mephisto.UUCP>, juan@cobra.gatech.edu (Juan Orlandini) writes:
> >>Students will ruin you if you give them an unlimited number of pages to
> >>print on laser printers... All those christmas cards, sports results,
>
> Here at Georgia Tech, the Office of Computer Services (OCS) gives each
> student a permanent student account. They also give them a certain amount
> of money (called banannas - for some reason unkown to me). All computers
> under OCS management have accounting software that will subtract from the
> allocated money based on what the user does. CPU time is more expensive
> than mere storage which is about as expensive as printing. Different
> platforms have different cost attributes, but are equivalent in terms of
> "real" work done. (They use a set of benchmarks to determine the ratios).
> This neatly solves user abuse problems. The more they abuse the less they
> have money to abuse with. Extreme cases of abuse are dealt with immediately.
> Overall, there is a subvocal grumble by most of the students about OCS
                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> policy being restrictive, but with limited resources, it is a quite
> effective way.

Wow does that bring back some bad memories.  like working on a final project
at 3AM and having some system accounting message pop up telling me that
my CPU limit has been reached, see the site admin for an extension (at 8am).
some students work long hours on projects not to abuse the system, but
to produce quality work, perhaps beyond the expectations of the instructor,
but why should an instructor or administrator say "you only need 3 CPU
hours for this course, anything beyond that is abusive"??  perhaps i am
taking a subject that really interests me, i want to learn, to dig into
the subject.  perhaps i want to do unix for the rest of my life.  why should
some person set limits on how much i can learn??

limiting the resources like printing or disk space makes sense, or perhaps
prime-time computer access, but there are two users on at 3 AM, who am i
hurting or inconveniencing by compiling a few programs to experiment with
IPC or terminal modes.  that makes my university look all the better by
producing programmers who know more about the system than "write a program
to balance your checkbook and print a bank statement".

to bypass the quotas, i got a job as a tutor/computer operator at
Penn State, with guaranteed access to a terminal and no quotas.
the quotas issue was one of the driving factors in my transferring to
the univ. of maryland.  at least there they know what hands-on means.

bill.

       William Walker   ---   uunet!prcrs!wrwalke  ---   (703) 556-2565
   "There's nothing wrong with IBM that a REAL Operating System can't cure."

> >>BTW: Why does UNIX have a cutoff for disk usage (quota) but not for
> >>printer usage?

> >Because the system won't crash if the printer runs out of paper,
> >but it will if it runs out of swap space!

> First of all, not all UNIX systems "crash" if they run out of swap space.

> Second of all, the disk space usage was for *files*, not for *swap space*.

Third, UNIX doesn't have a cutoff for disk usage. Some versions of UNIX do,
but it's not universal. Most of the systems that support quotas are based on
the BSD branch of the family tree, which was designed for an academic environ-
ment. Quotas have some validity there, but are less than useful in the Real
World (tm).
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
/      \  'U`

>Most of the systems that support quotas are based on the BSD branch of
>the family tree,

System V Release 4, for example :-) :-) :-)

> >Most of the systems that support quotas are based on the BSD branch of
> >the family tree,

> System V Release 4, for example :-) :-) :-)

Oh bummer.

Well, when you can go out and buy it maybe. But right now they're still mostly
BSD variants.

And that's one of the "enhancements" from SunOS, right? So it's still based
on BSD.
--
 _--_|\  `-_-' Peter da Silva. +1 713 274 5180. <peter@ficc.uu.net>.
\_.--._/

lws@comm.WANG.COM (Lyle Seaman) (03/14/90)

Gee, all we did was put a cup on the printer and a sign that said:
                  Laser Printer costs $0.07/page.
                  Your own paper -->  $0.05/page
Worked pretty well.

--
Lyle                     sendmail.cf under construction, pardon the From:
lws@comm.wang.com        (or, uunet!comm.wang.com!lws)  (508) 967-2322