[comp.unix.questions] X, nfs/exportfs problems

rogerj@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) (03/14/90)

Folks,

Just a couple of questions:

The first is an X question, but although there is comp.sources.x
I don't know of a comp. group that discusses X so I couldn't
post it elsewhere (I know it's not a unixy question per se, sorry)

I KNOW this is a silly question, but I just can't find the answer.
We need some sources for X11R3, note that R3 NOT R4. Gatekeeper@dec.com
and athena-dist.mit.edu both have just R4 sources. I'd like to go to
R4, but we've been given (curse of the university creed I guess) lots
of R3 server code free, we just need some additional things like client code,
man pages, etc. Does anyone know of a server that still has X11R3 for ftp?
Thanks in advance!

The second question deals with NFS/exportfs. We have a new Optical Drive
that we'd like to make available for nfs mounting to other workstations
on our net (we already mount everyone's /user directories so anyone
can use any workstation and get in to their home directory), but we're
running into "access denied problems."

In our /etc/exports table we have (for the BIG host, where the Optical
will be):

<stuff>
/ -rw,root=<the other BIG server in our net>
<stuff>

("<stuff>" is just comments and dates)

If I read the man pages right, this means export "/" on our server
machine to everyone read/write, and allow host access to the other
server. Great.

Now, on that same server, we mount th Optical drive with the mount
command:

mount -o rw /dev/od0a /OpticalDrive

Which means "mount this drive FS under ? as OpticalDrive"...right?

So all should be cool now, right? Wrong. When a local machine goes
to try to mount the Optical Drive directory tree with a command like:

mount -vt nfs <server machine>:/OpticalDrive /NetOD nfs rw,bg,intr,net 0 0

is where we get the access denied problems. So back to the server, we
re-export everything (exportfs -va) and the server says "re-exporting /".
Fine, so back to the local hosts and we still get access denied.

If we mount the Optical Drive under / on the server and export /, can't
people nfs mount the Optical Drive on their local hosts? Does anyone see
anything obvious we missed here? Thanks in advance!

--Roger Jagoda
--Cornell University
--FQOJ@CORNELLA.CIT.CORNELL.EDU

ftw@quasar..westford.ccur.com (Farrell Woods) (03/14/90)

In article <9903@batcomputer.tn.cornell.edu> rogerj@tcgould.tn.cornell.edu (Roger Jagoda) writes:

>If we mount the Optical Drive under / [as in /OpticalDisk] on the server
>and export /, can't people nfs mount the Optical Drive on their local hosts?

No, they can't.

In your /etc/exports file, you must have the pathname of each mounted
filesystem you wish to export.  In fact, I'm using a Sony magneto-optical
disk myself.  My exports file looks like:

/
/laser

Where /laser is where I have the MO disk mounted when I'm running multi-user.

Add /OpticalDisk (or whatever) to your exports file, and other users should
then be able to mount it.
--
Farrell T. Woods				Voice:  (508) 392-2471
Concurrent Computer Corporation			Domain: ftw@westford.ccur.com