[comp.unix.questions] *nix - an abbreviation?

fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) (03/05/90)

hi folks,

does anybody know, what the abbreviation '*nix' stands for?

thanks, axel
--
A.F.Zinser |                          / !watzman!horga!veeble!fifi

In article <5155@balu.UUCP> fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:
: does anybody know, what the abbreviation '*nix' stands for?

Yes, we know, but we're not allowed to say.    :-)

Larry Wall
lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) (03/06/90)

fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:

>does anybody know, what the abbreviation '*nix' stands for?

	Well, hopefully this will be the final response to this question ...
it's getting a bit outdated now. Basically, you may (or may not)ay no that
there are several, errm ... what shall I call them ... 'Alternatives' to UNIX,
such as AIX, MINIX, etc, which are named differently due to copyright problems.
Therefore, when people refer to UNIX their arguments tend also to reflect the
other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.

	Dave C
--
 Dave Cartwright,               | cmp8118@uk.ac.uea.sys    <- Here
 School of Information Systems, | cmp8118@uk.ac.uea.cpc780 <- Somewhere else

fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) (03/07/90)

sorry,
I don't want to know the meaning of '*', but the meaning of
'unix' - if there is one.

thanks
--

ghe@mist.cs.orst.edu (Guangliang He) (03/08/90)

In article <1344@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes:
>fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:
>
>other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
>term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
>*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.

What about AU/X (Apple Unix) and RX (Ridge Unix)? They don't fit in the
general expression *IX :-). Some one may find some name even doesn't fit
it *X.

ghe@mist.cs.orst.edu

gwyn@smoke.BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn) (03/08/90)

In article <5167@balu.UUCP> fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:
>I don't want to know the meaning of '*', but the meaning of
>'unix' - if there is one.

It's the same as the meaning of the sound of no hands clapping.

dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks) (03/08/90)

In article <16576@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Guangliang He) writes:

>What about AU/X (Apple Unix) and RX (Ridge Unix)? They don't fit in the
>general expression *IX :-). Some one may find some name even doesn't fit
>it *X.

OSF/1 :-)
--
David Brooks			dbrooks@osf.org
Open Software Foundation	uunet!osf.org!dbrooks

In article <5167@balu.UUCP>, fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:
> I don't want to know the meaning of '*', but the meaning of
> 'unix' - if there is one.

  I'm surprised this isn't in the monthly "frequently asked questions" posting.

  The story I heard is that "Unix" a parody of "Multics", an operating
system which preceded Unix and which I will not discuss here (This is,
after all, comp.UNIX.questions, not comp.MULTICS.questions).

  Oh, one thing I will mention is that I think the reason they decided
to parody Multics' name is that they didn't like the draconian security
features present in Multics, and wanted to write an operating system
that was more open.

   There goes the idea that Unix is secure :-)

Jonathan Kamens			              USnail:
MIT Project Athena				11 Ashford Terrace
jik@Athena.MIT.EDU				Allston, MA  02134
Office: 617-253-8495			      Home: 617-782-0710

P.S. Unix and Multics are almost definitely registered trademarks owned by
     somebody (AT&T for Unix, probably Honeywell for Multics).  If you're
     they, Plbbbbbbbb.

In article <1344@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes:
>other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
>term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
>*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.

I guess it will have to be *X to allow for hp/ux and a/ux.  :-}

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

In article <12312@smoke.BRL.MIL> gwyn@brl.arpa (Doug Gwyn) writes:
>In article <5167@balu.UUCP> fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:
>>I don't want to know the meaning of '*', but the meaning of
>>'unix' - if there is one.
>
>It's the same as the meaning of the sound of no hands clapping.

Which is to say the sound of no postings progressing beyond
news.announce.newusers...

				--Blair
				  "RTFN.A.NFAQP."

brian@c3ns1.gcs.co.nz (Brian Burroughs) (03/09/90)

In article <7279@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV> lwall@jpl-devvax.JPL.NASA.GOV (Larry Wall) writes:
>In article <5155@balu.UUCP> fifi@cosmo.UUCP (A.F.Zinser) writes:
>: does anybody know, what the abbreviation '*nix' stands for?
>
>Yes, we know, but we're not allowed to say.    :-)
>
>Larry Wall
>lwall@jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov

Tell me larry, are you any relation to Larry Laffer, my hero?

Brian.

--
______________ Brian Burroughs (guru in training), GCS Ltd, _______________
________ P.O. Box 11-642, Manners Street, Wellington, New Zealand. ________

dan@kfw.COM (Dan Mick) (03/09/90)

I think we should ask 'what is the meaning of "Zinser"'.

cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) (03/09/90)

cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>In article <1344@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes
                                                          ^ Me !!!!

>>other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
>>term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
>>*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.

>I guess it will have to be *X to allow for hp/ux and a/ux.  :-}

	Now come on, chaps ... can someone out there please write something
looking like UNIX but not ending in 'X' (perhaps back to the old 'ICS' of
Multics ?? }:^)), so that we can finally refer to all UNIX-like systems as :

				*

	Dave C (again)
--

wrwalke@prcrs.UUCP (William Walker) (03/10/90)

In article <4752@paperboy.OSF.ORG>, dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks) writes:
> In article <16576@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Guangliang He) writes:
> >
> >What about AU/X (Apple Unix) and RX (Ridge Unix)? They don't fit in the
> >general expression *IX :-). Some one may find some name even doesn't fit
> >it *X.
>
> OSF/1 :-)

For those with LARGE budgets... UNICOS from cray.

bill.

       William Walker   ---   wrwalke@prcrs.UUCP   ---   530N-3  x-2565
 "There's nothing wrong with IBM that a REAL Operating System couldn't cure."

mchinni@pica.army.mil (Michael J. Chinni, SMCAR-CCS-E) (03/10/90)

In article recently (8 Mar 90 13:25:13 GMT) Conor P. Cahill
<cpcahil@virtech.uucp> writes:
>In article <1344@sys.uea.ac.uk> cmp8118@sys.uea.ac.uk (D.S. Cartwright) writes:
>>other, similar systems. Therefore, using the standard UNIX wildcard *, the
>>term *NIX (or more accurately *IX to allow for those like AIX which don't fit
>>*NIX) is used to get across the concept of 'all (or most) UNIX-like systems'.
>I guess it will have to be *X to allow for hp/ux and a/ux.  :-}

So how do you handle "RTU" Concurrent's (formerly MassComp) Real-Time Unix

I don't think that anyone will ever find a SINGLE name like that (e.g. *NIX,
*IX, *X, etc.) that will work for ALL variations of UNIX by any company.

...Mike Chinni <mchinni@pica.army.mil>

                  Life is not a cabaret - it's a f*ing circus

brister@td2cad.intel.com (James Brister) (03/10/90)

So far I haven't seen what I heard was the meaning of the word "UNIX."
Seems Ken Thompson liked Multics enough to pattern some of UNIX after it,
but made it much smaller than Multics. UNIX is a castrated version of
Multics. Think about it....

James
--
James Brister                                          brister@td2cad.intel.com
Intel Corp.                       {decwrl,oliveb}!intelca!mipos3!td2cad!brister

palowoda@fiver.UUCP (Bob Palowoda) (03/10/90)

From article <4752@paperboy.OSF.ORG>, by dbrooks@osf.osf.org (David Brooks):
> In article <16576@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> ghe@mist.CS.ORST.EDU (Guangliang He) writes:
>>
>>What about AU/X (Apple Unix) and RX (Ridge Unix)? They don't fit in the
>>general expression *IX :-). Some one may find some name even doesn't fit
>>it *X.
>
> OSF/1 :-)

  Is Vaporware!

--
Bob Palowoda  indetech!fiver!palowoda      *Home of Fiver BBS*  login: bbs
Home {sun|daisy}!ys2!fiver!palowoda            (415)-623-8809 1200/2400

unhd (Roger Gonzalez ) (03/13/90)

Yep, as you said A/UX and others don't fit the *IX.  For that matter,
one of our systems runs UNOS, which is a UN* :-)

--
UUCP:   ..!uunet!unhd!rg      | USPS: Marine Systems Engineering Laboratory
BITNET: r_gonzalez at unhh    |       University of New Hampshire

In article <1990Mar13.134602.12921@uunet!unhd> rg@unhd.unh.edu.UUCP (Roger Gonzalez ) writes:
: Yep, as you said A/UX and others don't fit the *IX.  For that matter,
: one of our systems runs UNOS, which is a UN* :-)

How 'bout we switch to normal regular expressions and say something like:

	(u.*[nx]|[rn].*x|ix)

That gets most of 'em, and maybe a few that haven't been invented yet.
Or perhaps

Or maybe that should that be

	(^u|[ux]$|osf)

Probably get a false positive with that one, though.   :-)