[comp.unix.questions] troff fonts with me macros

gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) (03/14/90)

I am working on a document using the me macros and I want to
change the point size for the entire document from the default
of 10 to 12.  I have tried (among other things) '.ps 12' and
'.sz 12' at the top of my file with no luck.  The only way those
insertions seem to work is to place them in each paragraph separately.
The only way I have been able to change the point size for the entire
document was to make my own copy of the macro package and change the
defaults for the .tp and .pp registers.  Is there a better way?
(besides using another macro package ;-)...

Thanks--

Al

--
Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
USAMC SIMA, ATTN:  AMXSI-TTC, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578

papowell@attila.cs.umn.edu (Patrick Powell) (03/14/90)

In article <22738@adm.BRL.MIL> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:

>I am working on a document using the me macros and I want to
>change the point size for the entire document from the default
>of 10 to 12.  I have tried (among other things) '.ps 12' and
>'.sz 12' at the top of my file with no luck.  The only way those
>insertions seem to work is to place them in each paragraph separately.
>The only way I have been able to change the point size for the entire
>document was to make my own copy of the macro package and change the
>defaults for the .tp and .pp registers.  Is there a better way?
>(besides using another macro package ;-)...
>
>Thanks--
>
>Al
>
>--
>Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
>USAMC SIMA, ATTN:  AMXSI-TTC, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578
>COMMERCIAL:  (314) 263-5646	AUTOVON:  693-5646
>uunet.uu.net!stl-08sima.army.mil!gaspar

here is a set of handy macros that you might want.

.	\" CW - L - Same as .r, but for CW font.  Shrink size a bit, looks better
.nr Ls 1
.de l
.if \\n(.$>2 \&\\$3\c
.ds p# "
.nr PQ \\n(.f
.if \\n(PQ>9 .ds p# (
.ft CW
.if \\n(.$>0 \\s-\\n(Ls\&\\$1\\f\\*(p#\\n(PQ\\s+\\n(Ls\\$2
..
.\" Blast changes to all environments.  Does not work with EQN so that
.\" you still have to do gsize xxx
.de SZ
.ie \\n(.$>0 \
\{\
.	nr pp \\$1
.	nr tp \\$1
.	nr fp \\$1-2
.	nr sp \\$1
.	sz \\$1
.	nr ii 5n
.	nr pi 5n
.\}
.el \
\{\
.	nr pp 10
.	nr tp 10
.	nr fp 8
.	nr sp 10
.	sz 10
.	nr ii 5n
.	nr pi 5n
.\}
..
Prof. Patrick Powell, Dept. Computer Science, EECS 4-192,
University of Minnesota,  Minneapolis, MN 55455 (612)625-3543/625-4002

In article <22738@adm.BRL.MIL> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:
>I am working on a document using the me macros and I want to
>change the point size for the entire document from the default
>of 10 to 12.  I have tried (among other things) '.ps 12' and

I had to do this with my USENET Manual Set and came up with the following:

.nr pp 8
.nr sp 8
.nr tp 8

to set it to 8 point.  I added these lines after the .so for the me
macros.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jep@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (John E. Prussing) (03/14/90)

In article <22738@adm.BRL.MIL> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:

>I am working on a document using the me macros and I want to
>change the point size for the entire document from the default
>of 10 to 12.  I have tried (among other things) '.ps 12' and
>'.sz 12' at the top of my file with no luck.  The only way those
> .............etc.
>Al Gaspar	<gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil>
>USAMC SIMA, ATTN:  AMXSI-TTC, Box 1578, St. Louis, MO  63188-1578
>COMMERCIAL:  (314) 263-5646	AUTOVON:  693-5646
>uunet.uu.net!stl-08sima.army.mil!gaspar

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Try putting the statement ".nr PS 12" at the very beginning of
your program.  You may need to include "gsize 12" in your .EQN
definitions if you're using eqn.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
John E. Prussing                             Internet: jep@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign    Bitnet: jep@uiucuxh

hartl@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Anton Hartl) (03/15/90)

In article <22738@adm.BRL.MIL> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:
>I am working on a document using the me macros and I want to
>change the point size for the entire document from the default
>of 10 to 12.  I have tried (among other things) '.ps 12' and
>'.sz 12' at the top of my file with no luck.  The only way those
>insertions seem to work is to place them in each paragraph separately.
That's true, .sz does a temporary size change, respectively every
call to .pp or similar macros resets the point size.
>The only way I have been able to change the point size for the entire
>document was to make my own copy of the macro package and change the
>defaults for the .tp and .pp registers.  Is there a better way?
There is. The number register pp defines the pointsize used throughout
the entire document; the macros pp, lp and the like set the pointsize
to the value of that number register. So the first thing you put in
Your paper is '.nr pp 12' and everything should work fine.

-Toni

Anton Hartl | hartl@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de, ...!unido!tumult!hartl
  Only those who attempt the absurd will achieve the impossible.  -Escher

henry@angel.Sun.COM (Henry McGilton--Software Products -- R.I.P.) (03/15/90)

In article <1990Mar14.145156.27518@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>, jep@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (John E. Prussing) writes:
> In article <22738@adm.BRL.MIL> gaspar@stl-08sima.army.mil (Al Gaspar) writes:
> >
> >I am working on a document using the me macros and I want to
>
> =-=-=-=-=-=-=
    > Try putting the statement ".nr PS 12" at the very beginning of
    > your program.  You may need to include "gsize 12" in your .EQN
    > definitions if you're using eqn.
The  -me  macro package has no number register PS.  That's
the  -ms  macro package.

	........  Henry

| Henry McGilton    |                     |                           |
| Sun Microsystems  | TROFF is an acronym | arpa: hmcgilton@sun.com   |
| 2550 Garcia       | for Times Romanoff. | uucp: ...!sun!angel!henry |
| Mountain View, CA |                     |                           |