[net.cooks] Satay

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (02/18/86)

*** REPLICATE THIS LIME WITH YOUR MASSAGE ***

Does anyone out there in the net world have any recipe for satay?
Its an Indonesian food (meat on a stick like)

	Thanx,
--
Joseph Judge
414 Morton Hall

seltsam, zu wandern im Nebel ...

asw@rlvd.UUCP (02/24/86)

In article <75@oucs.UUCP> joe@oucs.UUCP writes:
>Does anyone out there in the net world have any recipe for satay?
>Its an Indonesian food (meat on a stick like)

If anyone has a recipe, I would like to see it too.
How about posting it here?
My favourite restaurant (Indonesian) makes superb Satay,
but they don't usually divulge what their recipes are. I will
try again.....
Tony Williams					|Informatics Division
UK JANET:	asw@uk.ac.rl.vd			|Rutherford Appleton Lab
Usenet:		{... | mcvax}!ukc!rlvd!asw	|Chilton, Didcot
ARPAnet:	asw%rl.vd@ucl-cs.arpa		|Oxon OX11 0QX, UK

hall@beta.DEC (DIGITAL DAN) (02/25/86)

>Does anyone out there in the net world have any recipe for satay?
>Its an Indonesian food (meat on a stick like)
>
>	Thanx,
>--
>Joseph Judge

I have an Indonesian version, but I prefer this Thai version:

SATE  or  SATAY   Serves 6

1    pound beef, pork or chicken, very thinly sliced
     and cut into strips 1/2" wide x 2" long

MARINADE

2    cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
1/2  onion, chopped
1    tablespoon palm or brown sugar
     Juice of 1 lime
1    tablespoon fish sauce
1/2  teaspoon tamarind pulp, dissolved in 2 tablespoons hot water
1    tablespoon vegetable oil

SAUCE

8    tablespoons crunchy peanut butter
1    onion, finely chopped
1    cup thick coconut milk
1    tablespoon palm or brown sugar
1    teaspoon red chilli powder
1    stalk lemon grass, finely chopped
1    tablespoon fish sauce
1    tablespoon dark, sweet soy sauce

Place all the marinade ingredients in a food processor or blender and process
or blend till smooth.  Thread the meat strips like a ribbon on 12" wooden
skewers, 3 or 4 to each stick, and place in a large, shallow dish.  Pour the
marinade over the satay and let stand for 30 to 60 minutes, rotating each
stick occasionally.

If cooking over charcoal, light the coals and let them come to temperature.
If using a broiler, turn it on and let it come to a full heat for at least
10 minutes before you start to grill or broil.  The satay should be grilled,
barbecued or broiled near high heat.

In a saucepan, combine all the sauce ingredients and bring to a boil, stirring.
Remove from heat and pour into small bowls for accompaniment.

Remove the satay from the marinade and cook fiercely and quickly.  (The cooking
time will vary with the type and density of meat used, the amount of heat and
proximity thereto, but should never exceed a total of 5 minutes for all sides.)

Serve with the sauce, and side bowls of Taeng Kwa Brio Wan.

TAENG KWA BRIO WAN  (Sweet and sour fresh cucumber)

2    large cucumbers, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced thinly
1    small red onion, peeled, halved and sliced thinly
1/2  teaspoon dried red chilli flakes
4    tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2  cup water
5    tablespoons white vinegar
1/2  teaspoon salt

Place the cucumber, onion and chilli flakes in a mixing bowl.  In a small
saucepan, over low heat, dissolve the sugar in the water.  Remove from heat
and stir in the vinegar and salt.  Pour this mixture over the vegetables
in the bowl.  Stir and refrigerate until served.

Serves 6 to 8

from  "The Original Thai Cookbook" by Jennifer Brennan, GD/PERIGEE BOOKS,
                                                        SBN 399-51033-8

Note:  You can get the fish sauce, lemon grass, coconut milk, and tamarind
pulp at an Asian food store.  I prefer tamarind concentrate over the pulp
and water deal cause it's easier.  I also used to make coconut milk but it's
much more convenient to buy it in cans (about a buck a can).

Enjoy!

-Dan Hall

joe@oucs.UUCP (Joseph Judge) (02/27/86)

> In article <75@oucs.UUCP> joe@oucs.UUCP writes:
  And here joe@oucs.UUCP (that's me) writes again:

	I requested a recipe for satay and sure enough I got two. You people
are fast at the responses. Thank you very much for the recipes. Here is
the first recipe I received from David Sassoon. (Thanks David!):
(The second will be attached to the end of this first recipe)

---------------- CUT HERE -- recipe #1  Satay ---------------------------------
Satay-

The most important think here is to use appropiate lamb, or
flank steak (or pork) for it (ask your butcher).  You need
a thick, slightly sweet version of fsoy sauce often refered to
as soy catsup (try a Oriental market for this).
Mix  one part soy sauce (catsup)  1-2 cups
     one part peanut oil (1-2 cups)
     ~1-3 table spoons of peanut butter (mix in thouroughly)
     1 teaspoon sugar
     1/3 cup apple juice or sweet fruit juice
     could also add in crushed garlic

     Allow meat to marinate for at least 3 hours
     Meat should already be cut into strips or cubes
     Bar-B-Q is preferable or
     broil and baste

     Hope this works out!

---------------- CUT HERE -- recipe #2  Satay + a Thai recipe -----------------

This is the other satay recipe. At the end was attached a Thai recipe. A nice
plus! This is from Dan Hall (DIGITAL DAN) Thanks to you, too!

[...]

much more convenient to but it in cans (about a buck a can).

Enjoy!

Standard food disclaimer:
	I have not tried these yet so eat at your own risk (you might like
them and give up all other foods!)

These recipes were sent to me (i.e. I didn't write them, I am merely posting
them!)

Me:
Joseph Judge
414 Morton Hall
Ohio University
Athens, Ohio 45701
{amc1,bgsuvax,cbdkc1,cbosgd,cuuxb,osu-eddie}!oucs!joe

"Plus ca change, Plus c'est la meme chose, The more that things change,
The more they stay the same" - Rush