[net.cooks] brown sugar, how to no lumps

kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) (02/07/86)

Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?

fwb@siemens.UUCP (02/10/86)

> Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
> lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?

To resurrect it, put a slice of apple in the plastic bag and let it
sit overnight.  Easy, huh?

Frederic W. Brehm       (ihnp4!princeton!siemens!fwb)
Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories

amp@ada-uts.UUCP (02/12/86)

     Put a slice of bread in the bag or container with the brown sugar.

suze@terak.UUCP (Suzanne Barnett) (02/13/86)

> Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
> lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?

Store it in a plastic bag that closes tightly. (I use a
store brand equivalent of Baggies (TM). Most store brands have
better "zippers".) Alternatively, buy the two lb. size that
comes in its own plastic bag (not a box) and be sure to
**always** close it tightly, all air squeezed out. It will
"lump" but it won't dry out so the lumps are easily broken
down.

To resurrect, place a very wet paper towel in a plastic bag
(do NOT zip the top) and place the plastic bag in with the
brown sugar for a couple of days. (The water should NOT get on
the sugar directly, just create a lot of humidity in the sugar
container.)
--
Suzanne Barnett-Scott
uucp:	 ...{decvax,ihnp4,noao,savax,seismo}!terak!suze

CalComp/Sanders Display Products Division
14151 N 76th Street, Scottsdale, AZ 85260
(602) 998-4800

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (02/13/86)

In article <27600004@siemens.UUCP> fwb@siemens.UUCP writes:

>> Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
>> lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?
>
>To resurrect it, put a slice of apple in the plastic bag and let it
>sit overnight.  Easy, huh?

I think a piece of bread will do this as well.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET

smithson@calma.UUCP (Brian Smithson) (02/14/86)

In article <19173@apple.UUCP> lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) writes:
>In article <27600004@siemens.UUCP> fwb@siemens.UUCP writes:
>>
>>> Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
>>> lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?
>>
>>To resurrect it, put a slice of apple in the plastic bag and let it
>>sit overnight.  Easy, huh?
>>

>I think a piece of bread will do this as well.

For resurrection, try putting it in a microwave for a *moment* or two.
I stress *moment* for fairly obvious reasons.  Try a small lump and see.
I think that it distributes the moisture or something...

carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) (02/14/86)

> In article <27600004@siemens.UUCP> fwb@siemens.UUCP writes:
> >
> >> Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
> >> lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?

Keep it in the icebox and it won't lump.

oyster@uwmacc.UUCP (Vicious Oyster) (02/17/86)

In article <363@bdaemon.UUCP> carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) writes:

>Keep it in the icebox and it won't lump.

   When I lived in San Antonio, I had some severe ant problems (which I
discovered one day while making brownies only *after* melting the chocolate
and butter), which prompted me to store all my dry ingredients in the 'fridge.
Unfortunately, the brown sugar turned into one huge, rock-hard lump.  (I
moved to a less temperate region just so the ants wouldn't want to follow
me, so now I don't have those problems).

 - Joel ({allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!oyster)

render@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (02/19/86)

Regarding keeping brown sugar from hardening:

The best way I have found to keep it loose is to store it in a sealed plastic
container.  If you don't have any tupperware or the like, keeping it in a
plastic bag bound with a twist-tie also works.  In general, anything which
keeps away the moisture should do the trick.  Also, store it someplace cool,
as heat also increases the chance of sticking (hence the suggestions to keep
brown sugar in the fridge).

			"Works for me."

                                     Hal Render
                                     {pur-ee, ihnp4} ! uiucdcs ! render
                                     render@uiucdcs.CS.UIUC.EDU

rep@grkermi.UUCP (Pete Peterson) (02/20/86)

In article <996@decwrl.DEC.COM> kolling@decwrl.DEC.COM (Karen Kolling) writes:

>Is there an (easy) way to store brown sugar so that it doesn't
>lump, or an (easy) way to resurrect it?

I have had good results storing it in tight-sealing Tupperware containers.
This seems to keep it soft for prolonged periods.

You can "resurrect" it by putting it in a tightly sealed container with
something to provide moisture.  Apples, bread, etc. have been suggested; I've
used just a folded damp paper towel -- if you do this, lay it on top of a
chunk of waxed paper or plastic wrap rather than directly on the surface of
the sugar.  Remove the apple/bread/paper after a couple days.

pete peterson

fwb@siemens.UUCP (02/21/86)

> In general, anything which
> keeps away the moisture should do the trick.
        ^^^^

Actually, brown sugar gets hard when it *looses* moisture.  But then,
anything which keeps away moisture will also keep it in.  (Don't put a
package of Silica Gel in your brown sugar. :-)

Storing brown sugar in the freezer, or in a hermetically sealed container,
will let it keep longer because the moisture evaporates slower.

Fred Brehm       (ihnp4!princeton!siemens!fwb)
Siemens Research and Technology Laboratories

jgold@bbncca.ARPA (Jamie Gold) (02/27/86)

I find that for most purposes, I don't need to keep brown sugar
at all -- a cup of sugar with two to four tablespoons (for light or
dark brown sugar) of molasses is equivalent to a cup of brown sugar,
and much easier to measure.

see1@sphinx.UChicago.UUCP (Ellen Seebacher) (02/28/86)

In article <1723@bbncca.ARPA> jgold@bbncca.ARPA (Jamie Gold) writes:
>I find that for most purposes, I don't need to keep brown sugar
>at all -- a cup of sugar with two to four tablespoons (for light or
>dark brown sugar) of molasses is equivalent to a cup of brown sugar,
>and much easier to measure.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!  I wondered what I was doing wrong.
Not long ago, I used up two bags of apples by making several batches
of apple cookies -- but I didn't have much brown sugar on hand, so
I hit the reference books for substitutions.  _Help! from Heloise_
gives "1 cup brown sugar" as equivalent to (.5 cup white sugar) plus
(.5 cup molasses).  And I wondered why those cookies tasted so odd...

Egg (and molasses) on MY face,

--
 Ellen Keyne Seebacher                     Univ. of Chicago Comp. Center
  Dilige et quod vis fac.                  ...ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!see1