[comp.unix.questions] Dvorak Keyboard Layout in Unix

jayvana@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay van Achterberg) (03/19/90)

I type using the Dvorak keyboard layout (as opposed to the QWERTY layout --
the keys are actually remapped) on my Mac at school. I know that when I go to
work this summer, I'll be working on unix workstations like IBM RT's.

Does anyone have/know of a unix patch/utility that will let the user type
using the Dvorak keyboard layout on the existing keyboard?

In case I get no replies to the above question, can someone tell me how to
go about writing a program or script that will remap keys, if it is possible?
(ex. when I type a ";", I want the operating system to think it was a "s".)

Please email replies, I don't read this newsgroup. I will post a summary.

Thanks!
				-Jay (jayvana@wpi.wpi.edu, jayvana@wpi.bitnet)

jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins) (03/20/90)

In article <9782@wpi.wpi.edu> jayvana@wpi.wpi.edu (Jay van Achterberg) writes:
>I type using the Dvorak keyboard layout (as opposed to the QWERTY layout --
>the keys are actually remapped) on my Mac at school. I know that when I go to
>work this summer, I'll be working on unix workstations like IBM RT's.
>
>Does anyone have/know of a unix patch/utility that will let the user type
>using the Dvorak keyboard layout on the existing keyboard?

Way way back, before I knew how to type, I got a program for the TRS-80
that remapped the keyboard to use Dvorak.  I loved it, it made sense.  I learned
to type, I used it constantly.  Then I went to school, where they had Qwerty.
Dang.  So I picked up qwerty.  Well, then I couldn't type under Dvorak any more.
I realized that, while Dvorak was far superior (possible religious war warning)
as long as the rest of the world used qwerty I probably should too.  So
think about it.  If you try to switch daily between the 2 keyboard layouts
you won't be very good at either.  Unless you're either willing to convert
every keyboard you use, or only use 1 keyboard day in and day out, it's not
worth the hassle.

Now, if anyone wants to start a movement we replace qwerty with Dvorak.....

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

"My son beat up the Citizen of the Month at Gage elementry school."