[comp.unix.questions] What, again ?

art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) (03/20/90)

The following news article is from this morning's Honolulu Advertiser,
dated MONDAY March 19, 1990 (On the Global page, section A for local folk).
What, do we have a another hacker on our hands ?
Anyone know anything about this thing ???

		ROGUE PROGRAM RUNNING
		AMOK IN COMPUTER NET

		  NEW YORK - A rogue computer
		program that steals electronic documents,
		user passwords and erases files has been
		winding its way through a nationwide
		computer network previously plagued in
		1988, according to a published report.
		  The New York Timesreports in today's
		editions that a computer hacker has devised
		a program that infiltrated corporations,
		non-classified military installations,
		government laboratories and several
		universities.  Government computer security
		teams have been unable to trace the source
		of the illegal program.
		  The computer network is Internet, a
		worldwide collection of computer systems
		that links corporations, government projects
		and universities together.  Unidentified
		investigators told the Times that the latest
		hacker has entered dozens of systems,
		including those of Los Alamos National
		Laboratory, Digital Equipment Corporation,
		Harvard University, Boston University and
		the University of Texas.
--
Arthur W. Neilson III		| ARPA: art@pilikia.pegasus.com
Bank of Hawaii Tech Support	| UUCP: uunet!ucsd!nosc!pegasus!pilikia!art

In article <1990Mar19.185147.4857@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>The following news article is from this morning's Honolulu Advertiser,
>dated MONDAY March 19, 1990 (On the Global page, section A for local folk).
>What, do we have a another hacker on our hands ?

A.  We've got a couple hundred thousand hackers on our hands and/or
machines; the question should be "do we have another criminal on
our network?"

B.  The AP reports in the Boston Globe came with editorial
embellishments (enclosed in [] after the AP text) that indicated
that the Globe had talked to people at Harvard who confirmed
breakins.

C.  CERT's issued a warning of illegal-entry attempts
but a mild disclaimer of the newspaper articles as written,
which are buggy (what else? :-), containing incorrect
terms for the activity.

				--Blair
				  "D.  Who was that masked man?
				   I wanted to charge him for his