[comp.unix.questions] Mark Williams COHERENT OS ?

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (03/21/90)

COHERENT *NIX CLONE FROM MARK WILLIAMS?

Dr. Dobbs of this past month contained an ad for a *nix clone from Mark
Williams Software, priced at $99.95.  According to the ad the system
includes what is commonly known as the "development system" and "basic
networking utilities" (uucp et. al.)  From the ad's wording it sounds as
though the OS runs in protected mode (286/386 only).

The price of the offering is such that it sounds attractive for a home
environment, but I wanted to 'sound the depths' and see if any users or
other potential users had comments.   Info please, I will summarize.

At a price less than MINIX this sounds too good to be true, but then again...

- J.D. McCown

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your life or your lupins!"

darcy@druid.uucp (D'Arcy J.M. Cain) (03/21/90)

In article <437@eds1.UUCP> jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) writes:

>COHERENT *NIX CLONE FROM MARK WILLIAMS?
>
>Dr. Dobbs of this past month contained an ad for a *nix clone from Mark
>Williams Software, priced at $99.95.  According to the ad the system
>includes what is commonly known as the "development system" and "basic
>networking utilities" (uucp et. al.)  From the ad's wording it sounds as
>though the OS runs in protected mode (286/386 only).
>
>The price of the offering is such that it sounds attractive for a home
>environment, but I wanted to 'sound the depths' and see if any users or
>other potential users had comments.   Info please, I will summarize.

This sounds great.  If it has RFS or it can be added then it just might
make *nix a real contender for the medium size business market.  Just
hang a few 286's off a big *nix system and instant network.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain (darcy@druid)     |   Thank goodness we don't get all
D'Arcy Cain Consulting             |   the government we pay for.