[comp.unix.questions] Is select

aras@dr.uucp (Arne Asplem) (03/23/90)

Is BSD 4.3 select() function included in SVR3 ?

I notice that some systems, like Motorola Delta systems, running
System V Release 3 includes this function, but our Altos system, also
running SVR3 doesn't !

  -- Arne

/* Arne Asplem, Consultix, P.O.BOX 1367, N-1401 SKI, NORWAY
 * Phone: +47-9-876844  Fax: +47-9-876766  Pager: 096-43139
 * E-mail: aras@dr.uucp or ..!mcsun!nuug!dr!aras
 */

brando@uiucme2.me.uiuc.edu (Brando W. Brown) (03/24/90)

In article <633@dr.uucp> aras@dr.uucp (Arne Asplem) writes:
>Is BSD 4.3 select() function included in SVR3 ?
>
>I notice that some systems, like Motorola Delta systems, running
>System V Release 3 includes this function, but our Altos system, also
>running SVR3 doesn't !

My 386 Interactive Unix (System V 3.2) has the select() function in libinet.a
I'm not sure if this is a port from BSD or what, but looking through the
libraries with the "ar" command I found it...

Brando

+============================================================================+
|   Brandon Brown                    Internet:   brando@uiucme.me.uiuc.edu   |
|   Addamax Corporation              UUCP:       uunet!uiucuxc!addamax!brown |
|   2009 Fox Drive                   GEnie:      xmg23356 macbrando          |
|   Champaign, IL  61820             CompuServe: 73040,447                   |
+============================================================================+

>Is BSD 4.3 select() function included in SVR3 ?

"select()" is not a standard part of every S5R3 release from AT&T.  Some
vendors have added it, some have not.

carroll@m.cs.uiuc.edu (03/25/90)

/* Written  7:41 am  Mar 23, 1990 by aras@dr.uucp in m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */
/* ---------- "Is select() included in SVR3 ?" ---------- */
Is BSD 4.3 select() function included in SVR3 ?

I notice that some systems, like Motorola Delta systems, running
System V Release 3 includes this function, but our Altos system, also
running SVR3 doesn't !
/* End of text from m.cs.uiuc.edu:comp.unix.questions */

select() is not part of SysVR3. Some particular implementations have it. As
mentioned in another response, 386/ix 2.0.2 has it in the TCP/IP package.
SysVR3 does however have poll(), which performs roughly the same function
on streams. Unfortunately, it doesn't work on pipes, which is more than a bit
of a bummer.

Alan M. Carroll                "Like the north wind whistling down the sky,
carroll@cs.uiuc.edu             I've got a song, I've got a song.
Conversation Builder:           I carry it with me and I sing it loud
+ Tomorrow's Tools Today +      If it gets me nowhere, I'll go there proud"
Epoch Development Team
CS Grad / U of Ill @ Urbana    ...{ucbvax,pur-ee,convex}!cs.uiuc.edu!carroll

jsnyder@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Jay Snyder) (03/26/90)

select() is a BSD function.  SYSV R3 doesn't include it stock, but some
venders include it.    SCO does as well as Motorola.
Jay A. Snyder       jsnyder@lehi3b15.csee.lehigh.edu
CSEE Dept.	          lehi3b15!jsnyder
Lehigh University