[comp.unix.questions] Ingres under Ultrix

deutsch@jplcwp.UUCP (Michael Deutsch) (03/17/87)

I would like to know if any of you on the
NET have further information about INGRES DBMS
under Ultrix.  The other day some people pointed
out to me that it is indeed on the system.
From what I can tell It is part of the Ultrix
distribution and it sits in the "/usr/new" directory.

No man entry for "ingres" exists.

The obvious questions are:
		1.  Do you have a manual for ingres?
		2.  Where can I get a copy of manuals or
		    is there a text book that you'd recommend?
		3.  Have you had experience using this Ingres
		    under Ultrix?

Please send mail to me directly.

Thanks  beforehand.

Michael Deutsch

avolio@decuac.DEC.COM (Frederick M. Avolio) (03/18/87)

In article <162@jplcwp.UUCP>, deutsch@jplcwp.UUCP (Michael Deutsch) writes:

> I would like to know if any of you on the NET have further information
> about INGRES DBMS under Ultrix.  The other day some people pointed out
> to me that it is indeed on the system.  From what I can tell It is
> part of the Ultrix distribution and it sits in the "/usr/new"
> directory.
> No man entry for "ingres" exists.

Did you look under /usr/new/lib/ingres/doc directory?  On my Ultrix
system there are two tutorials, a reference manual and other
goodies...

Fred.

djo7613@blake.acs.washington.edu (Dick O'Connor) (03/26/90)

We're just getting started on a campus machine running a test version of
Ultrix (4.0) and I need to get some familiarity with Ingres on this OS.
I have lists of documents published for UNIX systems by the Ingres Corp.,
but I can't figure out the difference between SQL and QUEL.

I assume these are both versions of structured query language, but there
are apparently separate reference manuals for each, separate "ESQL" and
"EQUEL" User's Guides, separate ESQL and EQUEL companion guides to Fortran,
and so on.  Since I have to purchase 3-4 sets of documentation, I'd
like to know a bit more about why one would use one (SQL) approach in
preference to another (QUEL).  Can anyone help me out of this alphabet soup?

Thanks very much.  If there seems to be interest in the results, I'll
summarize and post any info I receive.

"Moby" Dick O'Connor                            ** The only difference between
Washington Department of Fisheries              ** a lazy man on a riverbank
Olympia, Washington  98504                      ** and a fisherman is a pole
Internet Mail: djo7613@blake.u.washington.edu   ** and a length of string.